Old 07-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Sonia Van Tassel

Default burnt peony buds

In a south facing border I have a peony that was doing great until one
hot day seemed to burn the buds (they shriveled up and are black). The
rest of the plant is vibrant and green. So I am wondering if I should
move the plan to a more shady location or if not how can I protect it
in the future? I was really sad to see those buds get spoiled.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Ann

"Sonia Van Tassel" expounded:

In a south facing border I have a peony that was doing great until one
hot day seemed to burn the buds (they shriveled up and are black). The
rest of the plant is vibrant and green. So I am wondering if I should
move the plan to a more shady location or if not how can I protect it
in the future? I was really sad to see those buds get spoiled.

Those buds didn't burn, they're diseased, most likely Botrytis.
Remove all of the diseased portions of the plant and dispose of them
(don't compost them). In the fall be sure to clean up all peony
debris and dispose of that, too. Peonies like sun, moving it into a
shady location will promote more blight.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 07-06-2005, 03:21 PM

You probably had a combination of a wet spring and poor garden
sanitation.
Clean up all the diseased plant parts and get them out of your garden.
There are sprays which will prevent botrytis but cleanup is the most
important thing to do.