GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawn advice needed. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/96065-lawn-advice-needed.html)

Martin 17-06-2005 10:23 PM

Lawn advice needed.

Installation of a walkway left us with a messed up lawn and we want to try
to repair it right away. We realize that this is not the best time to put
in new grass or overseed here in southern New England, but perhaps there
are strains of grass that could be coaxed to grow despite the summer
temperatures here. It's a partly shaded area getting about 4-5 hours of
direct sun during the day.

Would appreciate suggestions regarding types/mixtures of grass that anyone
has had luck with under these conditions.

William Wagner 17-06-2005 10:27 PM

In article , "Martin"
wrote:

Installation of a walkway left us with a messed up lawn and we want to try
to repair it right away. We realize that this is not the best time to put
in new grass or overseed here in southern New England, but perhaps there
are strains of grass that could be coaxed to grow despite the summer
temperatures here. It's a partly shaded area getting about 4-5 hours of
direct sun during the day.

Would appreciate suggestions regarding types/mixtures of grass that anyone
has had luck with under these conditions.

Consider a small patch of ground cover along your walk. . Adds interest
and no need to cut.

Bill

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 in a Japanese Jungle manner.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This may contain copyrighted (© ) material the use of

[email protected] 17-06-2005 11:53 PM

If you can keep it watered it is no problem.
Don't let the seedbed dry out.
Do yourself a favor and do a pH test and ammend the soil.
CT master gardener

Kay Lancaster 18-06-2005 03:42 AM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:23:28 -0400, Martin wrote:
Installation of a walkway left us with a messed up lawn and we want to try
to repair it right away. We realize that this is not the best time to put
in new grass or overseed here in southern New England, but perhaps there
are strains of grass that could be coaxed to grow despite the summer
temperatures here. It's a partly shaded area getting about 4-5 hours of
direct sun during the day.

What's the current soil temperature an inch or so down, at night and during
the hottest part of the day?