Old 18-06-2005, 03:55 AM
John McKay

Default Rabbit eating datlilies

How can I keep rabbits away from the Daylilies?

John

Old 18-06-2005, 06:51 PM

Usually daylilies do not eat rabbits, but why are you worried about it?
If the rabbits are dumb enough to come close enough for the daylillies
to eat them, thats thier fault.

Toad

Old 18-06-2005, 08:51 PM
John McKay

Thanks, I guess I should have known!

John

Old 18-06-2005, 10:47 PM
DK

"John McKay" wrote in message
How can I keep rabbits away from the Daylilies?

John

Only thing I've found to keep rabbits out of anything, is rabbit fencing,
put up correctly.

Diane

Old 19-06-2005, 06:36 PM
John McKay

Thank you all for the Info. I believe Diane is right. A fence ot net
may discourage him. Right now however he is remaining next door
where my neighbor has lots of juicy and tasty vegies. Normaly rabbits
in our neighborhood fall prey to Red Tail Hawks. This one is a bit
shrewd and enjoys devouring plants.

Old 21-06-2005, 05:42 PM

This spring I used Bloodmeal on my tulips which the local rabbits ate
back to the ground last year. This year, I layered on the blood meal
nice n' thick and there were no problems. Not one bite. That might
work for your Daylillies and it'll feed 'em too!

Jen in Chicago

Old 22-06-2005, 01:38 AM
John McKay

Thank you Jen, I ,may give that a try. I believe he has a stronger
interrest in my neighbor's garden right now. Some one also mentioned
Fox Urine as a repellant. blood meal may have the same repelling
affect.

Old 14-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Suzy O

Something else that also works -- usually -- repellant products containing
the active ingredient Thiram, a fungicide. I suspect it's more deterrant
than repellant, as it's reported to smell like rotten eggs to critters which
may interfere with their sense of smell and keep them from smelling
(finding) desirable plant material. Same deal with moth balls
(napthalene), tho I'd be cautious about using it around vegies or anywhere
accessible to pets and/or kiddles.

Suzy O

Old 14-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Bourne Identity

You are just a cacophony of information, aren't you? Geeze. Just put
a hot pepper in the blender with water and spray it on the plants you
don't want the rabbits to eat.

Here I am all thrilled to have a bunny who found my garden. She/he
sits there all cute eating plants and things. I threw out some
carrots the other day and there she was, sitting near the pool chewing
away. So cute.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 05:29:43 GMT, "Suzy O" wrote:

Something else that also works -- usually -- repellant products containing
the active ingredient Thiram, a fungicide. I suspect it's more deterrant
than repellant, as it's reported to smell like rotten eggs to critters which
may interfere with their sense of smell and keep them from smelling
(finding) desirable plant material. Same deal with moth balls
(napthalene), tho I'd be cautious about using it around vegies or anywhere
accessible to pets and/or kiddles.

Suzy O

.. .