GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is a young shoot? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/96110-what-young-shoot.html)

L H 19-06-2005 02:07 AM

What is a young shoot?

Is a young shoot the same as a sprout?
I was reading that the young shoots of plants are edible and wanted to
know what a shoot was before I eat the wrong part. :)

get 6 month of FREE RENT in Northern Pennsyvania
http://www.dclassifieds.com/ad/3716647.html

Wolf Kirchmeir 19-06-2005 07:12 PM

L H wrote:
Is a young shoot the same as a sprout?

AFAIK yes. Or maybe a stage or two beyond that.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 19-06-2005 08:05 PM

In message , Wolf Kirchmeir
writes
L H wrote:
Is a young shoot the same as a sprout?

AFAIK yes. Or maybe a stage or two beyond that.

I was reading that the young shoots of plants are edible and wanted to
know what a shoot was before I eat the wrong part. :)

A more important point is that *not all* young shoots are edible.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

L H 20-06-2005 12:55 AM

"A more important point is that *not all* young shoots are edible."

Yes, good point. The plants I am considering, according to my source,
all have edible young shoots.
So, they should be sproutable(?)

Anyone know if there is a master list somewhere that contains what is
and what is not sproutable?
I know toms are not.
I cant find anything but the same common sproutables.
Mung beans and alfalfa and so on.