Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2005, 01:41 AM
Baine Carruthers

I would tend to stay away from bloodmeal & bonemeal also. I think cottonseed
meal or something from plant sources will lesson the "wildlife" encounters.
I know birdwatchers like to use moth balls to mast their sent when visiting
nest trees. The animals we're talking about are curious by nature,
especially of unusual scents.

One fall about 20 years ago, I planted about 500 tulips in a client's
garden. I was judicious with the bonemeal, careful that each bulb had its
allotment in its perfect position. The next day I came by to do a little
tidying up. To my amazement, every bulb had been dug up and lying close to
its hole. A day's labor for naught. Further investigation revealed
footprints matching the neighbor's Labrador retriever!

--
Baine