Old 08-07-2005, 05:43 AM
FardinA

Default reseeding thinned lawn

I am trying to reseed part of my lawn which has been thinned out. I
have tried to rake the area. However, since there are alive grass on
the area, raking did not help me get to the bare ground. I mean after
raking (to a great deal), I still could not see the bare soil. I did
not want to rake more as I thought that it might root out the live
grasses. I spread the seeds + startup fertlizer, and water the area. I
am not so sure what I have done will work out for me.
Can you let me know of what you think of my plan? If I want to get a
thick lawn, should I root out all the grasses (alive and dead
together)? Should the grass seed touch the soil for sure?
I am in Canada (Zone 3). Temperature is moving around 25 C. Do you
think that time is fine for lawn reseeding?

thanks

Old 08-07-2005, 12:30 PM
higgledy

Could you rent a dethatcher? What type of soil do you have? Maybe your
soil needs to be improved before over-seeding? Grass seed needs to be
at least touching the soil, my mother-in-law likes to bury it under
about a 1/4" of peat of fine soil. She has the best luck too.

[IMG] code is On

Thinned out the plants today Roy Ponds 0 19-08-2005 09:19 PM
broadleaf weed killer and reseeding lawn Dee Gardening 3 09-08-2003 02:32 AM
Winds knock over Trees in thinned areas! Aozotorp alt.forestry 3 27-07-2003 03:23 PM
Do you think these trees need to be thinned? Aozotorp alt.forestry 3 19-01-2003 09:44 AM
Prescribed Burn stopped Colorado's Hayman Fire - not Thinned Areas! Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 01-12-2002 02:48 PM