Old 08-03-2003, 02:56 AM
JCMumsie

Default Pointsettias

My Christmas pointsettia was still going strong until about a week ago - now it
is shedding the flowers. I've had it in a southern exposure window and watered
it weekly. Any suggestions?
JC

Old 10-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Trish K.

They hate drafts too
Old 12-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Jon Michel

Plant it in your backyard this spring after frost. It will grow like a weed
into a handsome bush. Then buy a new one next fall. It isn't worth trying
to force a bloom.
- Jon

Old 12-03-2003, 02:33 AM
SAS567

"JCMumsie" wrote in message
My Christmas pointsettia was still going strong until about a week ago -

now it
is shedding the flowers. I've had it in a southern exposure window and

watered
it weekly. Any suggestions?
JC

I've had mine for 3yrs. In the fall & winter it sits in a room with SSE & SW
exposure. I take it outside on my deck in the summer and it grows into a bush.
In the fall, I bring it back in and do the routine to get it to bloom for
Christmas. You have to remember to put it in darkness for the right amount of
time, for the right number of days but I always do. It's still in bloom as of
now. Mine needs to be watered more than just once a week. I feel the soil to
tell if it needs to be watered. It's so big that it needs water every 3-4 days.
I received my white pointsettia from my Son's girlfriend. She sent it to the
funeral home for his funeral, so it means something special to me.
Sue in Mi.

Old 14-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Françoise

Should they be put in the sun or in partial shade?

Thank you,

Fran=E7oise.

Old 17-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Trish K.

whatever, but you need to spray-paint the bracts red

really doesn't matter, sun is ok.

Old 17-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Sarah Sinclair

Françoise wrote in message ...
Should they be put in the sun or in partial shade?

Thank you,

Fran oise.

"JCMumsie" wrote in message
My Christmas pointsettia was still going strong until about a week ag

o -
now it
is shedding the flowers. I've had it in a southern exposure window a

nd
watered
it weekly. Any suggestions?
JC

Hi
A lot of people don't realise that Poinsettia is poisonous, regards
Sarah
Old 18-03-2003, 05:08 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Sarah Sinclair) wrote:

Trish K. wrote in message

. ..
On 17 Mar 2003 07:48:15 -0800,
(Sarah
Sinclair) wrote:

Hi
A lot of people don't realise that Poinsettia is poisonous, regards
Sarah

We need shrink wrap everything. Thanks, I almost ate the pointsettia.

Now I'm off to stew the rhododhendron.

Actually that is a mistake, they are not poisonous and this is just a
myth. But you only need to put 'poinsettia' into the search engine and
there are plenty of sites to tell you all about them and how to get
the best out of them.

[another recycled post:]

Right, it is a deeply ingrained myth that poinsettias are toxic. It is so
ingrained that it gets tossed onto dozens of "poisonous plants lists" with
no one bothering to check to find out if there is actually any toxic
alkaloid in this plant, & even veterinarians will state with straight
faces that poinsettias will kill cats or dogs, though no veterinarian on
earth has ever seen this happen because it can't happen.

My suspicion is the myth originally transferred from Christmas mistletoe
(mildly toxic) & English holly (much more toxic), which are properly
worried about. The currently prevailing theory is that the myth began in
Hawaii in 1919, when a two year old child was found dead under a full
grown poinsettia tree, with a poinsettia leaf in her hand. The mature
plant also exudes an unpleasant white milk similar to that of toxic euphorbias,
which would tend to increase the belief in this myth once it got started.

This page:
http://swinfo.tamu.edu/poison/poisonousplants.htm
reports outcomes of numerous studies that found
poinsettias completely harmless.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"