GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   2 cycle oil in 4 stroke tank? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/12362-2-cycle-oil-4-stroke-tank.html)

John 30-03-2003 10:44 PM

2 cycle oil in 4 stroke tank?

I have a John Deere Sabre lawn tractor with a 17.5 Kohler, and a 2.2 gallon
gas tank. I inadvertently put about two ounces of two cycle oil in the tank,
mistaking it for Sta-bil. Is it necessary for me to drain the tank (there's
probably 1/2 gallon of gas in it), or will that oil in there be okay?
Thanks,

John

Douglas Miller 30-03-2003 10:56 PM

2 cycle oil in 4 stroke tank?

In article , "John" wrote:
I have a John Deere Sabre lawn tractor with a 17.5 Kohler, and a 2.2 gallon
gas tank. I inadvertently put about two ounces of two cycle oil in the tank,
mistaking it for Sta-bil. Is it necessary for me to drain the tank (there's
probably 1/2 gallon of gas in it), or will that oil in there be okay?

About the worst it's going to do is foul your spark plug. I'd fill the gas
tank, though, before running it, in order to dilute the oil as much as
possible. After you've run through that tank of gas, change the spark plug.

--
Regards,

Edwin Pawlowski 30-03-2003 11:44 PM

2 cycle oil in 4 stroke tank?

"John" wrote in message
I have a John Deere Sabre lawn tractor with a 17.5 Kohler, and a 2.2

gallon
gas tank. I inadvertently put about two ounces of two cycle oil in the

tank,
mistaking it for Sta-bil. Is it necessary for me to drain the tank

(there's
probably 1/2 gallon of gas in it), or will that oil in there be okay?
Thanks,

Not a serious problem. You may get a bit of smoke or a little plug fouling.
I'd fill the tank to dilute it as much as possible, then I'd add more when
the tank got down to 3/4 to dilute it even more. Do that a couple of times
and you will be all set. I often run out my snowblower gas in my mower.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

cc0112453 31-03-2003 05:20 AM

2 cycle oil in 4 stroke tank?

It'll just be Smokey for a while. Can't hurt it. Might fowl the plug if it
were real oily but I doubt it. I do it all the time when I run out of
regular gas and I need some for the lawnmower. I will use some of the saw
gas. Now the other way around, using gas with no oil in a 2 cycle motor is
going to hurt something big-time.

Dave 31-03-2003 09:44 PM

2 cycle oil in 4 stroke tank?

I run two stroke fuel in my lawn mower all the time, and I haven't
fouled the plug yet. I only change my plug every 2-3 years.
It isn't that I'm stupid,,, I have more two stroke engines around than
4 stroke, so there is more mixed fuel laying around. (I'm lazy)