Old 07-03-2006, 07:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Brett Miler

Default Worms.................do they eat bunny poo and will it help my graden?

I have several rabbits as pets.
I'm trying to combine this with my recycling OCD.
I shred junk mail and line the rabbits cages with this. After a while
I put it on a small strip of soil b/w the walkway and the house. I've
been trying to mix this into the soil with a shovel. I was wondering
if I could add a big bag of Peat moss and mix in the rabbit poo &
paper. Then buy some worms and add them to the mix.
Well, I guess this is a stupid question - I know I can do it. The
question should be "Would it be useful to a very small vegetable
garden to do this?"

The reason for adding the peat is because the topsoil is on top of red
clay and I thought that might help it.

Last year I planted a store bought cherry tomatoe plant in this area
and it grew to the largest tomatoe bush I have ever seen - easily 8
feet when stretched out ( ok , maybe 7.) I want to prep the soil and
see what I can do if I try.
I also though the worm might help break down the Poo & Paper quicker.
It is breaking down much slower then I had thought.

Any suggestions or advice??

Thanks
BM
Old 07-03-2006, 09:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Brett Miler" wrote in message
news
[...]

Don't be in such a rush. If the poop is that fresh I doubt if the worms
will go for it. And by the time it has deteriated enough for worms it is
probably ready for your garden directly - a little shredded paper isn't
going to hurt anything. You might be able to hasten the composting a little
by putting the stuff in a black plastic garbage bag and leaving it in the
sun. The added heat will break it down quicker.