GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Craftsman Riding Mower(s) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/142973-craftsman-riding-mower-s.html)

[email protected] 25-04-2006 02:10 AM

Craftsman Riding Mower(s)

Any opinions and or advice will be appreciated.

I need a riding mower and have been told Sears will service your mower
at your home. This is important for me as I have no means of hauling a
mower to a repair shop if needed, which I am unable to do if I had a
trailer.

One which will bag or catch the cuttings in the process of mowing.

Personal experiences and preferences anyone?

Thanks to all for responses.

\/ \/

Stubby 25-04-2006 02:40 AM

Craftsman Riding Mower(s)

wrote:

Any opinions and or advice will be appreciated.

I need a riding mower and have been told Sears will service your mower
at your home. This is important for me as I have no means of hauling a
mower to a repair shop if needed, which I am unable to do if I had a
trailer.

Most repair shops will do this. Usually they charge $25 to pick up or
drop off.

One which will bag or catch the cuttings in the process of mowing.

I bought the bagger attachment and used it for a few years. Emptying
the collectors was an enormous chore and the "experts" had decided again
that leaving the clippings on the lawn was "good". In fact it's been
just fine for at least 15 years.

Personal experiences and preferences anyone?

Get a guarantee that repair parts will be available for X years.
Sears told me 18 years ago that parts would be available for my
tractor/mower for ever. Not so. I tried to buy the backets that hold
the two blades at 90 degrees this year. "Not available" was the answer.
I don't know what Toro or John Deere offers.

Dean 26-04-2006 04:56 PM

Craftsman Riding Mower(s)

I have had my cheapy craftsman 15.5HP rider for 8 years now and it
still runs perfectly. I use the bagger for picking up the final few
leaves after carrying off most of them on a tarp. Only problem I had
was a flat tire once. I change the oil every couple of years, nothing
else.

Dean

Artemis 27-04-2006 12:19 AM

Craftsman Riding Mower(s)

Dean wrote:
I have had my cheapy craftsman 15.5HP rider for 8 years now and it
still runs perfectly. I use the bagger for picking up the final few
leaves after carrying off most of them on a tarp. Only problem I had
was a flat tire once. I change the oil every couple of years, nothing
else.

Dean

That's a nice story. Is there a point to it?

--
Art

Eggs Zachtly 27-04-2006 01:35 AM

Craftsman Riding Mower(s)

Artemis said:

Dean wrote:
I have had my cheapy craftsman 15.5HP rider for 8 years now and it
still runs perfectly. I use the bagger for picking up the final few
leaves after carrying off most of them on a tarp. Only problem I had
was a flat tire once. I change the oil every couple of years, nothing
else.

Dean

That's a nice story. Is there a point to it?

The OP asked for personal experience with Craftsman riders, which is pretty
much what Dean gave, no?

--
Eggs

-Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.

Kate 27-04-2006 08:33 PM

Craftsman Riding Mower(s)

I know LAST year, their top of the line mowers were made by Husqvarna - darn
good mowers.
http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/ Ours has the Kawasaki motor in it though. I
think it was the last year for it.
Hubby says to look at the Kohler powered before the Briggs and Stratton.

We have a two year old Husky, 48" cut 22 HP - I absolutely love the
hydromatic transmission. You couldn't convince me to change unless I thought
I could get one of those little 4WD Kubotas or a bigger Zero turn mower.

Oh, and our Husky dealer comes and gets ours when it needs to be serviced,
Yours might too. As long as you don't buy it at Lowes or someplace like
that, get it at a Husqvarna dealer.

We live in Tennessee and mow about 5 acres with ours. The rest gets hit with
the tractor and the bush-hog.

Kate

wrote in message
oups.com...
:
:
: Any opinions and or advice will be appreciated.
:
: I need a riding mower and have been told Sears will service your mower
: at your home. This is important for me as I have no means of hauling a
: mower to a repair shop if needed, which I am unable to do if I had a
: trailer.
:
: One which will bag or catch the cuttings in the process of mowing.
:
: Personal experiences and preferences anyone?
:
: Thanks to all for responses.
:
: \/ \/
:

Artemis 27-04-2006 11:03 PM

Craftsman Riding Mower(s)

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Artemis said:

Dean wrote:

I have had my cheapy craftsman 15.5HP rider for 8 years now and it
still runs perfectly. I use the bagger for picking up the final few
leaves after carrying off most of them on a tarp. Only problem I had
was a flat tire once. I change the oil every couple of years, nothing
else.

Dean

That's a nice story. Is there a point to it?

The OP asked for personal experience with Craftsman riders, which is pretty
much what Dean gave, no?

Oh. I missed that.

--
Art