GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Crab grass! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/143223-crab-grass.html)

Eggs Zachtly 18-05-2006 10:58 PM

Crab grass!

Steveo said:

wrote:
Steveo said:

Stubby wrote:
Yes, the ag extension guy said pre-emergent applied again late summer
would help control it.

That's bogus. Preemergent controls prevent the seeds from sprouting
in early spring.

They do the same thing in late summer, brainiak.

This would be one of the ones that you spoke of in an earlier thread,
wouldn't it?

Yep. Most of them prevent grass seed germination first, some are better
than others at it.

rgr that. I was referring to those that constantly give out bad advice. ;)

--
Eggs

- Listen: Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for
a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate
from the masses, not from some... farcical aquatic ceremony!

Steveo 18-05-2006 10:58 PM

Crab grass!

wrote:
rgr that. I was referring to those that constantly give out bad advice.
;)

Gotcha that time, eggs. :p

Eggs Zachtly 18-05-2006 11:53 PM

Crab grass!

Steveo said:

wrote:
rgr that. I was referring to those that constantly give out bad advice.
;)

Gotcha that time, eggs. :p

Heh. =P

Dood... I like yer style. =)

--
Eggs
..sig not found. (A)bort, (R)etry, (F)ail?

Steveo 19-05-2006 12:21 AM

Crab grass!

wrote:
Dood... I like yer style. =)

I may be totally wrong but I'm a dancing fool. ($1 F Zappa)

Dan 19-05-2006 12:48 AM

Crab grass!

Steveo wrote:
wrote:
Dood... I like yer style. =)

I may be totally wrong but I'm a dancing fool. ($1 F Zappa)

A Zappa fan?
Heheh, I knew there was somethin' I liked about you.

Uncle Remus sfsf

Stubby 19-05-2006 01:31 AM

Crab grass!

Rapid wrote:
Stubby wrote:

Yes, the ag extension guy said pre-emergent applied again late summer
would help control it.

That's bogus. Preemergent controls prevent the seeds from sprouting
in early spring. In order to kill the plants before they set seed in
summer/fall, use a crabgrass killer several times.

you are partially correct. preemergent controls prevent seeds from
sprouting, period.

Of course, you're right. However, in the late summer crabgrass plants
are mature and setting seed. We don't want those seeds to hit the
ground. So, we kill the plants. I may be wrong, but that's why Ortho,
Bonide and other companies produce "crabgrass killers". In my
experience they work very well when applied according to the directions.

Steveo 19-05-2006 01:49 AM

Crab grass!

"Dan" wrote:
Steveo wrote:
wrote:
Dood... I like yer style. =)

I may be totally wrong but I'm a dancing fool. ($1 F Zappa)

A Zappa fan?
Heheh, I knew there was somethin' I liked about you.

Uncle Remus sfsf

Goin' to Montana! crash

Steveo 19-05-2006 01:50 AM

Crab grass!

wrote:
Steveo wrote:
wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Yes, the ag extension guy said pre-emergent applied again late
summer would help control it.

That's bogus. Preemergent controls prevent the seeds from
sprouting in early spring.

They do the same thing in late summer, brainiak.

Funny how he thinks applying it in late summer is no good, but
applying it several times is a great idea.

I didn't know pre-emergent herbicide could read a calender.... someone
better tell preen. :)

When are we supposed to apply it
then, 3 weeks in a row in April? LOL

Know what too much will do? Root prune the desirables.

Like I told you before your extension guy did, timing is critical with
that approach. Too soon can root prune, and too late won't work. You'll
still end up with some of it.

Who exactly are you addressing this comment to?

You.

[email protected] 19-05-2006 01:55 AM

Crab grass!

Stubby wrote:
Rapid wrote:
Stubby wrote:

Yes, the ag extension guy said pre-emergent applied again late summer
would help control it.

That's bogus. Preemergent controls prevent the seeds from sprouting
in early spring. In order to kill the plants before they set seed in
summer/fall, use a crabgrass killer several times.

you are partially correct. preemergent controls prevent seeds from
sprouting, period.

Of course, you're right. However, in the late summer crabgrass plants
are mature and setting seed. We don't want those seeds to hit the
ground. So, we kill the plants. I may be wrong, but that's why Ortho,
Bonide and other companies produce "crabgrass killers". In my
experience they work very well when applied according to the directions.

If you follow the thread, the discussion about applying pre emergent
again in late summer was to control poa trivialis, not crabgrass.

Steveo 19-05-2006 05:00 PM

Crab grass!

wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Like I told you before your extension guy did, timing is critical
with that approach. Too soon can root prune, and too late won't
work. You'll still end up with some of it.

Who exactly are you addressing this comment to?

You.

Well you must have me confused with someone else.

Nope.

Because I was never
discussing using pre emergent for poa trivialis with you or anyone else
before talking to the agricultural extension.

You didn't read this part of the thread?

Steveo wrote:
wrote:
-snippage-
Hi Trader.
I may pull a remaining clump and take it to the local state agri

service for identification, as I've been curious as to exactly what
this is for awhile. Quack grass is on my list of possibilities too.

It might be quack if it hasn't gone to seed yet, or it could also be some
sort of bizarre annual rye, or blue...or, if it is or has seeded. (?)

As someone else has already suggested, the only way to attempt a control
of an annual grass infestation is with a late summer pre-emergent
crabgrass control product application. (the same product you'd use in the
spring)

You have to lay it down before the annual grasses
re-germinate....otherwise their whole life cycle starts over. (timing is
critical)

It's a real problem to deal with, if you're going for a mono-strand look.

[email protected] 19-05-2006 05:05 PM

Crab grass!

Steveo wrote:
Like I told you before your extension guy did, timing is critical with
that approach. Too soon can root prune, and too late won't work. You'll
still end up with some of it.

Who exactly are you addressing this comment to?

You.

Well you must have me confused with someone else. Because I was never

[email protected] 19-05-2006 06:33 PM

Crab grass!

OK, I see it now. I think what had me confused was I didn't know it
was poa trivialis until 2 days ago and was thinking of the discussion
in the context of what works specifically for that. When we were
discussing it before, no one knew what it was, but the advice you gave
does work as one of the avenues of attack for this too.

Steveo 19-05-2006 09:35 PM

Crab grass!

wrote:
OK, I see it now. I think what had me confused was I didn't know it
was poa trivialis until 2 days ago and was thinking of the discussion
in the context of what works specifically for that. When we were
discussing it before, no one knew what it was, but the advice you gave
does work as one of the avenues of attack for this too.

No problem. I told the OP it looked like a fresh cut annual, but he was
certain it was crabgrass at the time. I also suggested quackgrass, it was
hard to tell from the pic.