Old 18-06-2006, 03:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike Robinson

Default Lawnmower Problem

I have a problem with my lawnmower: My brother over filled the oil! (he is a
mech engineer too...figures).
He put about a quart into my mower when it only needed a ounce. I've drained
the remaining oil, left it tipped overnight with the spark plug removed and
the hole where it goes raised and when i try to start the mower the pull
cord comes half way out and then becomes "stuck".
Any ideas?

Old 18-06-2006, 04:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
AndyS

Mike Robinson wrote:
I have a problem with my lawnmower: My brother over filled the oil! (he is a
mech engineer too...figures).
He put about a quart into my mower when it only needed a ounce. I've drained
the remaining oil, left it tipped overnight with the spark plug removed and
the hole where it goes raised and when i try to start the mower the pull
cord comes half way out and then becomes "stuck".
Any ideas?

Andy writes:

You have oil in the combustion chamber. Take the spark plug out and
pull
the rope thru a few times. That will force the oil out.

You will need to clean the spark plug off . Dipping
it in gasoline should dissolve the oil between the electrodes.

Then put the spark plug back and start the mower. There will be a
LOT
of smoke for a minute or so, then it will be OK.......

I had the same problem with a boat motor.... When there is a bunch
of oil in the combustion chamber, the piston cannot go to the end, and
it feels like some metal thing is stopping it.... Oil cannot be
compressed
any more than steel can.... The damage isn't
permanent...unless you broke your starter rope.......and you can fix
that....

Do not let your brother near any mechanical or electrical equipment.
He is a hazard, and will cause you grief.......
You should also acquaint him with the color and diversity of the
English language....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 18-06-2006, 06:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Mike Robinson

"AndyS" wrote in message
oups.com...

Andy writes:

[...]

Hahaha I know its the running joke in the family. He is a mechanical
engineer but has ZERO common sence when it comes to working on anything
mechanical!
Thanks for the advice, ive got the rope pulling now (no longer sticking) but
still no fireing. I'm going to grab a new spark plug today.
Andy in Eureka, Texas