Old 21-06-2006, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bill's News

Default New Guinea Impatiens new, potted, one leaves dying from lower tier upward

Hello,

I'm new to gardening. About 1 month ago I potted 3 one quart
NGIs in well drained ceramic pots about twice the size of their
store containers. In southern California they sit on an outdoor
shelf which is shaded from the sun by a solid roof. Two are
doing beautifully but one has lowest tier of leaves yellowing,
withering, and dropping off - about one or two per day. That
plant shows no new shoots at the soil line, while the other two
do. All plants are in flower with new buds. Moisture meter
shows each of the pots to be the about same, at 3/4 of the
scale, and I water (with tap water) about every 4th day, if the
indicator drops below half. The ph of the ailing plant is
slightly more acidic (less than 1/8th of the scale) than the two
healthy plants (which are near the bottom of the scale)

Searching the web I find "yellow leaf spot," but that does not
match what I see, and nothing else pertinent about the plant
with "yellow leaf" of just plain "dying."

Any ideas on what to look for or any similar experiences shared
would be appreciated.

Bill

Old 26-06-2006, 09:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bill's News

Bill's News wrote:
[...]

This may be my answer, some time will tell. Impatiens are acid
loving plants - I've now learned. So I've fed them with the
Azalea food and will monitor. The yellowing leaves do not
exhibit the cited characteristic of green veins but the Ph was
very low, although slightly more acid in the problematic pot?