Old 02-07-2006, 04:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steve

Default Shady Lawn

Well I recently bought a house and this spring I layed down new grass seed
and soil on top of it and it took off great, bery thick and green. Even the
neighbors were comminting on it and now its dead. The area in question is
about 10*25 and 98% in the shade. the rest of the yard is 75% shade and
stayed looking a lot better still not great though. What kind of seed do
you recomend I get for it to take and stay green and thick. I have tried
everything. I am in Kansas so we have hot summers and cold winters.

TIA

Old 02-07-2006, 01:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steve wrote:
Well I recently bought a house and this spring I layed down new grass seed
and soil on top of it and it took off great, bery thick and green. Even the
neighbors were comminting on it and now its dead. The area in question is
about 10*25 and 98% in the shade. the rest of the yard is 75% shade and
stayed looking a lot better still not great though. What kind of seed do
you recomend I get for it to take and stay green and thick. I have tried
everything. I am in Kansas so we have hot summers and cold winters.

TIA

I've had good results with Jonathon Green Dense Shade Mix. If it's
really 98% shade, like a north side of a house with trees, etc, you
may have to use alternatives, like ground cover. You should also
consider possibilities of reducing some of the shade, eg thinning out
or removing some trees, which will help a lot.

For dense shade areas with deciduious trees, I would not re-seed again
until next Spring. In fall, with leaves on limiting light, then
falling, etc, it doesn't work in Fall.