Old 23-07-2006, 06:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Problems with landscape plants -- help please !!

As this message will demonstrate, I am a "green thumb" about plants, and no
nothing about nutrients, etc. But, I have lived in this same house for
over 30 years, and have simply bought and planted many plants over the years
without the slightest problem.

Around the front perimeter of my house, I have planting areas that are
bordered with brick. Over the years, I have planted plants and shrubbery
such as heather, ilex, shilling, etc. About a year ago, MOST of these
plants and shrubbery started turning yellow, and then eventually all died
out. This happened over the course of about 3 or 4 months. I have tried
planting other replacement plants and they have died within a month or so of
planting. Keep in mind please that this is the same planting area that I
have used without problems for 30 years.

I got one of those soil testing kits to test the soil for nutrients, and I
closely tested the soil. The results were that the ph is "neutral" with a
number 7 result. But, I did find that the Nitrogen level was "low" and
the Phosphorous and Potash are both "very low." So, surely these low
levels of these elements must surely be at least part of my problem.

I have not done an "iron" test, because I don't know how to test for iron.
Does anyone know if they make a test kit for iron levels in soil ?

To help the low levels of Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potash, I bought some
fertilizer with good ratios of these nutrients and spread it into this
planting area , and watered it in real good. I repeated this 3 times over
several weeks. I did not "dig" the fertilizer into the soil, as I have this
area mulched, and I would have to remove all of the mulch. But, the
fertilizer was the powdery type, and I assumed the watering would work it
into the soil.

I planted some new heathers. When I planted them, I did mix some of this
fertilizer into the soil, mixing real evenly. I put in a decent amount, but
did not over do it. I watered them in using Miracle-Gro, and fertilzed with
the same each week. Within a week, some of the leaves on the plants
started turning yellow, and within 2 weeks many leaves are brown and are
falling off. These plants will be dead in another two weeks. This is
baffling to me.

From trying to research on the internet, I believe I could be seeing
chlorosis, resulting from iron deficiency. I bought an iron supplement
(can't think of the name, but it was liquid) and poured it into the planted
areas. This hasn't helped yet, but I don't know if I did it right.
Without an iron test, I don't even know if this soil lacks iron.

Any ideas on what I have tried and what I might try now ? Is there a test
for iron ? If my soil is low on iron, what is the best way to add iron ?
I have read of chelated iron, which I assume is more of a slow-release type.
Do you think this would help?

If my soil is indeed "low" on Nitrogen, and "very low" on Phosphorous and
Potash, what is the best way of adding these nutrients? Do I need to
remove the soil, dig up the soil, and mix in the fertilizer ?

Please give me any comments or recommendations that you can think of !! I
really need help on this one.

--James--

Old 23-07-2006, 11:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"James" wrote in message

[...]

From trying to research on the internet, I believe I could be seeing
[...]

I have a soil sample kit in front of me as I haven't had the tests made.
These are options at my state university where they are to be sent.

1. Regular series (pH, lime, P, K) $7
2. Regular series + O.M $10
3. Regular + Zinc $11
4. Regular + O.M + zinc $11
5, pH and lime only $4

Above it says "$7 per sample to test for lime requirement, phosphorous,
and potash)"., so that must be #1, nothing about iron. Can't find what
O.M is.

I would call my local extension service or the place in your state that
does the testing and ask if there is a test for iron.

This probably isn't the case with you, but I'm not sure some
highly-concentrated chemical wasn't spilled in one of my spots that
would cause trouble for an indefinite period, and it doesn't say
anything about testing for that.

You can buy liquid nutrients to replenish your soil so you don't have to
dig them in. While I was waiting, I'd maybe stick in some beans and see
what happens because they grow fast, also they are legumes and have that
nitrogen-fixing bacteria. I wouldn't put any more fertilizers or
additives into the soil until you get it figured out.

Sorry I can't be more help. I need to call and ask about chemical and
iron, too, before I go to all the trouble to do the samples and pay for
them.

--James--

Old 24-07-2006, 12:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"James" wrote in message

[snip]
Within a week, some of the leaves on the plants
started turning yellow, and within 2 weeks many leaves are brown and are
falling off. These plants will be dead in another two weeks. This is
baffling to me.

From trying to research on the internet, I believe I could be seeing
chlorosis, resulting from iron deficiency. [snip]

--James--

From your description, I don't think your plants are dieing from lack of
fertilizer or iron deficiency. That would be a long-term process with your
plants gradually losing vigor and deteriorating.

It sounds to me like there is something active which is killing your plants.
Possible considerations:

Soil contamination with a herbicide
Grossly excessive water
Salt contamination

Without knowing where you live I can't do more than suggest you look in
these areas, but consider what may have happened in your area in the period
just before your plants started dieing a year ago.

Does your water softener now drain into the planted areas?
Did you or a neighbor do something that drastically changed the way
rainwater flows around your property?
Was something spilled, such as gasoline, paint, herbicides?
Did you use a lot of salt to clean your walkway, which got shoveled over
your plantings?
Did you pressure clean your walk or house with a commercial product that
includes bleach?
Did you apply a mold-killer to your walkway or siding?

Also, scrape away some of the mulch and probe through the first 12" of dirt
to see how moist it is. If you're in a clay area and watering regularly you
may be flooding your plants underneath the mulch. Good luck, and let us
know what results you get -- Regards