Old 17-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Brian

Default Help

I'm starting my own lawn service soon and need some help figuring out what I
should name it. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Old 17-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Tim Fischer

"Brian" wrote in message
I'm starting my own lawn service soon and need some help figuring out what

should name it. Any suggestions would be great.

Suggestion #1 -- use an informative subject on your posts and you'll get
more people reading it!

Suggestion #2 -- Grass Smokers

Old 17-04-2003, 12:32 PM

"Brian" wrote:
I'm starting my own lawn service soon and need some help figuring out
what I should name it. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Cutting or chemical?

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 17-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Tim Fischer

"Brian" wrote in message
You must do lots of that in your spare time (Smoke Grass) Do you Smoke
Pole?

Thanks for the guess but nope -- drug free all my life, never even an
experiment. I don't even smoke or drink.

-Tim

Old 17-04-2003, 11:20 PM

"Tim Fischer" wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message
You must do lots of that in your spare time (Smoke Grass) Do you Smoke
Pole?

Thanks for the guess but nope -- drug free all my life, never even an
experiment. I don't even smoke or drink.

-Tim

More for me..

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 17-04-2003, 11:32 PM

wrote in message
"Brian" wrote:
I'm starting my own lawn service soon and need some help figuring out
what I should name it. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Cutting or chemical?

You understand the license for feeding?

What state are you in?

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 18-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Perry Noid

Brian wrote:

I'm starting my own lawn service soon and need some help figuring out what I
should name it. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Something easy to remember and sounds trustworthy, like your name is in
it, and if your name and business name and/or numbers can be
cross-referenced in the phonebook, people will trust you more, and
you'll get more business that way. I used to mow about 50 (FIFTY) lawns,
usually by myself, never had a business name, but that's kinda what i
learned my customers were looking for. If you make it obvious what type
of mowing you do, it helps ) choosing to do the type of lawns around
you can help cut down on driving time.

All i did was just basic lawn mowing, but i could get an average lawn
looking as if it was bagged and neatly trimmed in as little as 30 or 40
min all by myself ) I donno what kind of mowing you're catering to,
but here's some tips i learned:

=DO NOT= go knocking on the doors of homes with lawns needing mowed
asking if they want their lawns mowed!!! / (unless you're offering to
do it free) because that's really annoying to most people, and neighbors
talk to each other about whose good cause they can see each other's
lawn, and you especially don't want to annoy potential customers and
create negative references around your location because those are
easiest and quickest to drive to!! Driving time becomes a real issue the
more people you have working with you. You might want to decide early
the boundries of how far you want to drive to mow, and what
neighborhoods you want to go in.

An ad in the newspaper works much better than knocking on doors; if the
ad isn't working, change it, just that can get you all the business you
can handle by the end of the summer; However if that's your only
advertisement then once you take it out a lot of your regular customers
won't know how to contact you / Really! People forget /

A nice looking sign on the side of your vehicle or especially your
trailer that also has your phone number is probably the best
advertisement because it advertises most near your location; Plus people
looking for a new lawn guy will notice you and remember where you mowed
and when they drive back by later will see you work! (tho i didn't do
this, i know it will work, cause things my customers have said).

And get a reliable answering machine, CALLER ID can be a BIG HELP
sometimes when the message isn't clear who called you / especially if
it's a regular customer!! Some customers will be little old ladies who
are used to the neighbor kid who always knew who it was that was calling
cause he only did 2 lawns / Be careful what you put on the answering
machine, cause if you say you're so busy you can't handle any new lawns,
some of your regular customers may think you mean them and go elsewhere
/ this happened to me / keep it ultra simple and straight forward or
you'll start loosing even regular customers.

The riding mowers with the two lever steering and zero turning radius
are the best, so maneuverable you can knock out most lawns very fast,
like 10 minutes! I charged less for customers with flat lawns and riding
mower access to the backyard. Be careful about lawns in the countryside
with lots of stickers; Your riding lawnmower will collect them on the
tires and can carry them to your other customers!! / so a wire brush
and a quick check before leaving (especially a new customer) can make
sure you leave them where you got them /

If it's hot and dry enough, i would just park my mower while trimming
and in the 10 to 15 minutes that took to trim, the clippings would be
dry enough that i could spend another 5 minutes running over the
clippings and mulch them into nothing, would leave the lawn looking like
it had been bagged ) course it depends on the mower too.

Don't blow the clippings into the street. Everybody hates that except
the guy whose trying to trick you into loosing business / also some
towns it's littering. You wouldn't believe the people who tried to trip
me up, over a measly lawn for crying out loud / After a customer told
me not to cut something down, a "friend" of the customer would come
around and tell me to cut it down / On another lawn i caught the
previous lawn man placing by hand, long blades of grass along the back
fence to appear as if i had missed them / i pretended not to care but
managed to alert the customer without him seeing in time that she saw
him doing it / Be very suspicious of anyone's instructions except the
one whose paying you! (Unless you hear the customer tell him to tell
you). I even had one person try to talk me into leaving a little, uncut
patch in the middle of the lawns and then found out someone was
spreading the rumor that was my trademark /

Your lawn mower needs a year's worth of maintenance in a week. A ball
valve to replace the oil plug can make changing the oil a breeze. Just
put a spring on the handle at an angle so it holds it open or closed so
it doesn't vibrate open while in use / The oil on a small engine needs
replacing much more often than a car. At about 1 qt it's cheap enough.
When you mow a lot of lawns, change that oil often!!!

When you can mow, then mow! If you have just a couple lawns you put off
till tomorrow, then it can rain, more customers calling you to mow,
equipment breakdown, etc. and suddenly you're WAY behind P The perfect
setup is a trailer that hauls your mower and equipment, and a garage to
protect it against weather and theft. The less loading and unloading you
have to do, the lower your labor, and the more willing you are to go
ahead and finish that one extra lawn. Plus you'll get more reliable
customers if you are reliable and get it done quick.

Get a bill/envelope printed up, so when you mow and the customer isn't
home, you can leave that on the door and it will make it real easy to
mail you a check. This is less labor for you having to try several times
to collect on one lawn / my policy was i wouldn't mow next time until
paid for the last time, had little trouble getting paid.

The best trimmer i ever had was a Stihl, it's 10 years old, looks like
hell and still runs like new! Lots of power after several years of heavy
use! The only work it needed to keep it running was replacing the cord
(which is easy) and occasionally some carb cleaner or starter fluid in
the carb. But on most brands, don't spray the sponge filter cause it
can dissolve it. The most important rules to keeping a 2-cycle engine
running well is (1) NEVER run it without oil in the gas (It only takes a
minute running straight gas to damage it severely) and (2) NEVER, =EVER=
LOAN IT OUT!!!! cause even if you can trust the one you loan it to,
there's always some jerk/"friend" who will intentionally run straight
gas in it if he can later pretend he didn't know or understand / or
just blame someone else. From then on it's underpowered / I had all
sorts of trouble with 2-cycle engines until i bought one new and
absolutely refused to loan it out ever, haven't had any trouble since
) If you have to hire some new people you don't really trust, or just
have to loan one out, then use a cheap brand trimmer from the pawn shop
for that. The one brand i would run from is Craftsman, it's complete
junk.

If you want a good hat for the summer heat, i recommend this one:

Sunday Afternoons Adventure Sun Hat
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commer...play?prmenbr=2
26&prrfnbr=64223
(Item Number: 14695 )
http://www.campmor.com/

This hat looks a little funny and it has a stupid name, i know, but i've
tried all sorts of hats and this one works the best, very lightweight,
doesn't cut off circulation to your brain ;o) good ventilation and
protection. You can shove it in your pocket without damaging it, tho i
wouldn't store it crunched up. The only hat that felt near as cool was a
huge Mexican straw hat /

About 10 years ago, i was making $500 a week working about 4 hours a day
) and only getting a helper when i got really far behind. (using a
(high maintenance) old Dixon and a Stihl trimmer) Did a nice, neat job
when i mowed, spent about 3 miniutes picking up trash each time, was
polite and respectful to (most) customers ;oD had no trouble having more
business than i wanted. Only problem is it almost always rains on your
day off (
Old 20-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Brian

What could I possibly say other than "THANKS" I really appreciate the time
you spent to answer my question..
Thank You.

Old 20-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Perry Noid

Brian wrote:

What could I possibly say other than "THANKS" I really appreciate the time
you spent to answer my question..
Thank You.

Glad i could help )
Old 21-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Steve

Brian wrote in message
I'm starting my own lawn service soon and need some help figuring out what

should name it. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

How about "BRIAN'S LAWN SERVICE"

Old 21-04-2003, 10:20 PM
jstblush

How about 'Mow Money'. Thought it was kinda cute.
Sherry (good luck)

Old 22-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Tim Fischer

jstblush" wrote in message
How about 'Mow Money'. Thought it was kinda cute.
Sherry (good luck)

Cute, perhaps, but do you really want to pay "mow money" to have your lawn
done? Is it "mow money" than the competition? grin

Perhaps "Mow Service" or "Mow Beautiful" or the like fits the bill better.

-Tim

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM