Old 15-03-2007, 09:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

Default To early to aerate?

I'm in the northeast. The snow is all gone and the lawn is soft. So is it
too early to aerate? I know I should have done it in the fall but......

Thanks
Bob

Old 16-03-2007, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 15, 4:48 pm, "Bob" wrote:
I'm in the northeast. The snow is all gone and the lawn is soft. So is it
too early to aerate? I know I should have done it in the fall but......

Thanks
Bob

You could, but I would wait a couple more weeks, until the grass
starts growing. When you aerate, it gives the grass roots the
opportunity to expand into the loosened soil, which won't happen if
the grass is dormant. Plus, if you do it while it's still dormant,
it's going to look like hell for longer than if the grass is growing.

Old 18-03-2007, 02:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 16, 7:17 am, wrote:
When you aerate, it gives the grass roots the
opportunity to expand into the loosened soil, which won't happen if
the grass is dormant.

Well, yes, they do do that but that's not the purpose for aerating the
soil. The purpose is to get air down to the root level. That's why
it's called "aerate". Plant roots need air and moisture to grow, and
they will grow year round even though the top may be dormant. But they
do grow faster in the summer than during cold weather.
Bob S.

Old 19-03-2007, 01:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:48:33 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

I'm in the northeast. The snow is all gone and the lawn is soft. So is it
too early to aerate? I know I should have done it in the fall but......

Thanks
Bob

imho:

I've heard from another home owner, that aeration is good as long as
the grass is growing. Living in Pa, my grass is snow covered, growth
is lil. So I'll wait till warmer weather.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Old 19-03-2007, 11:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Just Joshin said:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:48:33 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

I'm in the northeast. The snow is all gone and the lawn is soft. So is it
too early to aerate? I know I should have done it in the fall but......

Thanks
Bob

imho:

I've heard from another home owner, that aeration is good as long as
the grass is growing.

It's not good to do *after* applying pre-emergent.

[snip]

Could you please put:

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

behind a proper sig delimiter, so that it can be snipped by other
newsreaders when replying? Thanks.

--

Eggs

-Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.
Old 23-03-2007, 02:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:24:24 -0600, Eggs Zachtly
wrote:

Just Joshin said:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:48:33 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

I'm in the northeast. The snow is all gone and the lawn is soft. So is it
too early to aerate? I know I should have done it in the fall but......

Thanks
Bob

imho:

I've heard from another home owner, that aeration is good as long as
the grass is growing.

It's not good to do *after* applying pre-emergent.

Ah yes, any disturbing of the surface can interfere with the
protection.

Thanks good catch!!

tom

[snip]