GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   when should i use crabgrass preventer in northeast? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/155899-when-should-i-use-crabgrass-preventer-northeast.html)

dooo42 26-03-2007 10:47 PM

when should i use crabgrass preventer in northeast?

i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3
of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down crabgrass
preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

Steveo 26-03-2007 10:58 PM

"dooo42" wrote:
i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3
of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down crabgrass
preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

While the forsythia is in bloom.

Frank 27-03-2007 12:10 AM

On Mar 26, 4:58 pm, Steveo wrote:
"dooo42" wrote:
i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3
of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down crabgrass
preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

While the forsythia is in bloom.

That's my advice too but along my asphalt drive, which gets quite
warm, crabgrass seed will sprout earlier so you might treat such areas
a little sooner.

Frank

Steveo 27-03-2007 12:47 AM

"Frank" wrote:
On Mar 26, 4:58 pm, Steveo wrote:
"dooo42" wrote:
i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3
of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down
crabgrass preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

While the forsythia is in bloom.

That's my advice too but along my asphalt drive, which gets quite
warm, crabgrass seed will sprout earlier so you might treat such areas
a little sooner.

Frank

Hi Frank

True, he could do it tomorrow for that matter. Does he have a soil
thermometer handy? :) The forsythia in n ohio is barely leafing out as of
today.

It's one of those rule of thumbs that follows the soil temperature. If the
OP uses dimension it probably isn't even worth talking about.

Steveo 27-03-2007 03:27 AM

when should i use crabgrass preventer in northeast?

wrote:
[2] Has been blooming profusely now, for about 10 days (that I've seen),
in and around StL.

Winter annual?

Eggs Zachtly 27-03-2007 04:20 AM

Steveo said:

"Frank" wrote:
On Mar 26, 4:58 pm, Steveo wrote:
"dooo42" wrote:
i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3
of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down
crabgrass preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

While the forsythia is in bloom.

That's my advice too but along my asphalt drive, which gets quite
warm, crabgrass seed will sprout earlier so you might treat such areas
a little sooner.

Frank

If you don't trust the Forsythia being early enough, try Witch-hazel [1].
It blooms a earlier than Forsythia. [2] ;)

Hi Frank

True, he could do it tomorrow for that matter. Does he have a soil
thermometer handy? :) The forsythia in n ohio is barely leafing out as of
today.

It's one of those rule of thumbs that follows the soil temperature. If the
OP uses dimension it probably isn't even worth talking about.

[1] (Hamamelis) If you don't know what it looks like, pop it in your
favorite search engine. It's a cool effin' bloom, and smells awsome. It's
very short-lived, though. But, you should have room in your yard for it.
Depending on where you live, it can be a better indicator than Forsythia
(which I go by), as to when to apply pre-emergent.

--

Eggs

How can there be self-help "groups"?

Eggs Zachtly 27-03-2007 04:21 AM

Steveo said:

"Frank" wrote:
On Mar 26, 4:58 pm, Steveo wrote:
"dooo42" wrote:
i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3
of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down
crabgrass preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

While the forsythia is in bloom.

That's my advice too but along my asphalt drive, which gets quite
warm, crabgrass seed will sprout earlier so you might treat such areas
a little sooner.

Frank

If you don't trust the Forsythia being early enough, try Witch-hazel [1].
It blooms earlier than Forsythia. [2] ;)

Eggs Zachtly 27-03-2007 11:21 AM

Steveo said:

wrote:
[2] Has been blooming profusely now, for about 10 days (that I've seen),
in and around StL.

Winter annual?

Forsythia??

Oh, you mean Witch-hazel? It's a shrub/small tree. =)

I meant the Forsythia has been blooming now for about that time. =)

--

Eggs

Is it my imagination, or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

Steveo 27-03-2007 11:47 AM

wrote:
Steveo said:

wrote:
[2] Has been blooming profusely now, for about 10 days (that I've
seen), in and around StL.

Winter annual?

Forsythia??

Oh, you mean Witch-hazel? It's a shrub/small tree. =)

I meant the Forsythia has been blooming now for about that time. =)

Yeah, you're quite a bit south of me. It's just starting to bud out from
dormancy up here.

Eggs Zachtly 28-03-2007 01:09 AM

Steveo said:

wrote:
Steveo said:

wrote:
[2] Has been blooming profusely now, for about 10 days (that I've
seen), in and around StL.

Winter annual?

Forsythia??

Oh, you mean Witch-hazel? It's a shrub/small tree. =)

I meant the Forsythia has been blooming now for about that time. =)

Yeah, you're quite a bit south of me. It's just starting to bud out from
dormancy up here.

You up by THE Ohio State University? =)

--

Eggs

-Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before
you need it.

Steveo 28-03-2007 11:50 AM

wrote:
Steveo said:

You up by THE Ohio State University? =)

Not too far away..roughly 150 miles north of there.

Go Buckeyes! :D

Steveo 29-03-2007 02:16 AM

when should i use crabgrass preventer in northeast?

wrote:
Apologies to the OP for the hijack. =)

Steveo said:

wrote:
Steveo said:

You up by THE Ohio State University? =)

Not too far away..roughly 150 miles north of there.

5a? 5b?

Medina Ohio.

Were you affected by the new zone changes? [1]

Go Buckeyes! :D

Nah. My Super, and the irrigation tech are both alumns. After the
football fiasco, they ain't tallkin shit about the games AT ALL. lol

I was rootin' for SIUC, but they *had* Kansas and just blew it. =( Now,
I'm kinda hoping for a Gator/Buc trimuph, HEH.

Sorry, =P

Nah it's all good man, and like you said that football pasting still leaves
a bad taste. Gawd knows I'm a glutton for punishment being a Cleveland
sports fan. I'm liking the Indians for 88-90 wins this season tho, so at
least I have that going for me. Oh and king James on the court. g

[1] "They" have us as a solid zone 6 now, but I'm not changing my
planting habits for a couple years, I think. Some of the changes were
quite drastic, and I'm not buying into it fully, just yet. Who knows?
Maybe they're right. *shrug* Time'll tell. =)

Onward thru the fog and don't change a thing if it's working.

JimR 29-03-2007 02:41 AM

when should i use crabgrass preventer in northeast?

[snip]

Were you affected by the new zone changes? [1]

[snip]

"They" have us as a solid zone 6 now,

[snip]

That's good, you were probably tired of Zone 5 winters --

Eggs Zachtly 29-03-2007 02:44 AM

Steveo said:

wrote:
Steveo said:

You up by THE Ohio State University? =)

Not too far away..roughly 150 miles north of there.

5a? 5b?

Were you affected by the new zone changes? [1]

Go Buckeyes! :D

Nah. My Super, and the irrigation tech are both alumns. After the football
fiasco, they ain't tallkin shit about the games AT ALL. lol

I was rootin' for SIUC, but they *had* Kansas and just blew it. =( Now,
I'm kinda hoping for a Gator/Buc trimuph, HEH.

Sorry, =P

[1] "They" have us as a solid zone 6 now, but I'm not changing my planting
habits for a couple years, I think. Some of the changes were quite drastic,
and I'm not buying into it fully, just yet. Who knows? Maybe they're right.
*shrug* Time'll tell. =)

--

Eggs

-Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

Eggs Zachtly 30-03-2007 01:13 AM

when should i use crabgrass preventer in northeast?

JimR said:

[snip]

Were you affected by the new zone changes? [1]

[snip]

"They" have us as a solid zone 6 now,

[snip]

That's good, you were probably tired of Zone 5 winters --

It snowed more here, this winter, than it has in a LONG time. heh

--

Eggs

A: Top-posters.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in newsgroups?