Old 26-03-2007, 10:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default when should i use crabgrass preventer in northeast?

i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3
of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down crabgrass
preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

Old 26-03-2007, 10:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"dooo42" wrote:
i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3
of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down crabgrass
preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

While the forsythia is in bloom.
Old 27-03-2007, 12:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 26, 4:58 pm, Steveo wrote:
"dooo42" wrote:
i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3
of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down crabgrass
preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

While the forsythia is in bloom.

That's my advice too but along my asphalt drive, which gets quite
warm, crabgrass seed will sprout earlier so you might treat such areas
a little sooner.

Frank

Old 27-03-2007, 12:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Frank" wrote:
On Mar 26, 4:58 pm, Steveo wrote:
"dooo42" wrote:
i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3
of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down
crabgrass preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

While the forsythia is in bloom.

That's my advice too but along my asphalt drive, which gets quite
warm, crabgrass seed will sprout earlier so you might treat such areas
a little sooner.

Frank

Hi Frank

True, he could do it tomorrow for that matter. Does he have a soil
thermometer handy? The forsythia in n ohio is barely leafing out as of
today.

It's one of those rule of thumbs that follows the soil temperature. If the
OP uses dimension it probably isn't even worth talking about.
Old 27-03-2007, 03:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
[2] Has been blooming profusely now, for about 10 days (that I've seen),
in and around StL.

Winter annual?

Old 27-03-2007, 04:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo said:

"Frank" wrote:
On Mar 26, 4:58 pm, Steveo wrote:
"dooo42" wrote:
i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3
of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down
crabgrass preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

While the forsythia is in bloom.

That's my advice too but along my asphalt drive, which gets quite
warm, crabgrass seed will sprout earlier so you might treat such areas
a little sooner.

Frank

If you don't trust the Forsythia being early enough, try Witch-hazel [1].
It blooms a earlier than Forsythia. [2]

Hi Frank

True, he could do it tomorrow for that matter. Does he have a soil
thermometer handy? The forsythia in n ohio is barely leafing out as of
today.

It's one of those rule of thumbs that follows the soil temperature. If the
OP uses dimension it probably isn't even worth talking about.

[1] (Hamamelis) If you don't know what it looks like, pop it in your
favorite search engine. It's a cool effin' bloom, and smells awsome. It's
very short-lived, though. But, you should have room in your yard for it.
Depending on where you live, it can be a better indicator than Forsythia
(which I go by), as to when to apply pre-emergent.

--

Eggs

How can there be self-help "groups"?
Old 27-03-2007, 04:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo said:

"Frank" wrote:
On Mar 26, 4:58 pm, Steveo wrote:
"dooo42" wrote:
i live in rhode island and last year crabgrass took over about a 1/3
of my lawn. i have seen so many different times to put down
crabgrass preventer my head is spinning. what is the best time?

thanks

While the forsythia is in bloom.

That's my advice too but along my asphalt drive, which gets quite
warm, crabgrass seed will sprout earlier so you might treat such areas
a little sooner.

Frank

If you don't trust the Forsythia being early enough, try Witch-hazel [1].
It blooms earlier than Forsythia. [2]

Old 28-03-2007, 11:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Steveo said:

You up by THE Ohio State University? =)

Not too far away..roughly 150 miles north of there.

Go Buckeyes!
Old 29-03-2007, 02:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[snip]

Were you affected by the new zone changes? [1]

[snip]

"They" have us as a solid zone 6 now,

[snip]

That's good, you were probably tired of Zone 5 winters --

Old 30-03-2007, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

JimR said:

[snip]

Were you affected by the new zone changes? [1]

[snip]

"They" have us as a solid zone 6 now,

[snip]

That's good, you were probably tired of Zone 5 winters --

It snowed more here, this winter, than it has in a LONG time. heh

--

Eggs

A: Top-posters.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in newsgroups?