Old 30-04-2007, 09:17 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Diesel Fuel as weed killer?

"Lar" wrote in message
rogerfisher wrote:

I think I recall my Dad using diesel fuel as a weed killer. Can this be
correct? Can it be put in a sprayer and used down the side of the

driveway
to kill grass? How much do you use and how long does it take?

Thanks to all posts.

Most all our dads also used lead paint...smoked 2-3 packs a day and
slung empty glass bottles out the car window while driving down the
road. Much better alternatives out there to use. The diesel will act as
a long term herbicide where you place it but it will also drift from the
area through the soil contaminate beyond where you use it, possibly some
vegetation you don't want killed.

indeed, stupid idea to use diesel to kill plants. Far safer ways to do it
without need to poisoning your soil. Diesel was used to mark lines on
playing fields and running tracks when I was at school. Better used in a
motor than on soil.

rob

Old 01-05-2007, 01:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Lar" wrote in message
rogerfisher wrote:

I think I recall my Dad using diesel fuel as a weed killer. Can this be
correct? Can it be put in a sprayer and used down the side of the
driveway to kill grass? How much do you use and how long does it take?

Thanks to all posts.

" Most all our dads also used lead paint...smoked 2-3 packs a day and
slung empty glass bottles out the car window while driving down the
road. Much better alternatives out there to use. The diesel will act

as
a long term herbicide where you place it but it will also drift from

the
area through the soil contaminate beyond where you use it, possibly

some
vegetation you don't want killed".

Lar

Ah, the good old days!!!!!
I remember when dad would change the oil in the car, he'd take the used oil,
dump it into the middle of the yard, pour about a half gallon of old gas on
it, let it sit for about ten minutes(so it soaked into the ground real
good), then light it.

The fire would burn with nice black smoke that the entire neighborhood could
see!!!
Sometimes that fire would burn for half an hour or so! (that was after they
told him he had to stop dumping it down the storm drain).

Mich...

Old 01-05-2007, 01:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 1, 7:41 am, "Mich..." wrote:
"Lar" wrote in message

... rogerfisher wrote:

[...]

Also, why would anyone use diesel, which is around $3 a gallon, when
there are other products desgned for the job that cost a fraction of
that?

Old 01-05-2007, 08:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 30, 10:43 pm, Lar wrote:
rogerfisher wrote:
I think I recall my Dad using diesel fuel as a weed killer. Can this be
correct? Can it be put in a sprayer and used down the side of the driveway
to kill grass? How much do you use and how long does it take?

Thanks to all posts.

Most all our dads also used lead paint...smoked 2-3 packs a day and
slung empty glass bottles out the car window while driving down the
road. Much better alternatives out there to use. The diesel will act as
a long term herbicide where you place it but it will also drift from the
area through the soil contaminate beyond where you use it, possibly some
vegetation you don't want killed.

Lar

Bad for the aquafir aquafur aquafer,,,,water table too!
:-Dean

Old 03-05-2007, 02:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Lar wrote:
rogerfisher wrote:
I think I recall my Dad using diesel fuel as a weed killer. Can this be
correct? Can it be put in a sprayer and used down the side of the driveway
to kill grass? How much do you use and how long does it take?

Thanks to all posts.

Most all our dads also used lead paint...smoked 2-3 packs a day and
slung empty glass bottles out the car window while driving down the
road.

That last activity seems to be just as popular as ever!

BTH

Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 2, 8:46 pm, BT Humble wrote:
Lar wrote:
rogerfisher wrote:
I think I recall my Dad using diesel fuel as a weed killer. Can this be
correct? Can it be put in a sprayer and used down the side of the driveway
to kill grass? How much do you use and how long does it take?

Thanks to all posts.

Most all our dads also used lead paint...smoked 2-3 packs a day and
slung empty glass bottles out the car window while driving down the
road.

That last activity seems to be just as popular as ever!

BTH

Probably is.
The 5-10cent redemption just changes the appearance,the evidence
gets cleaned up! Booze cruisin the backroads was/is very popular in
rural areas where there are'nt many options for entertainment.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dean wrote:

On Apr 30, 10:43 pm, Lar wrote:

rogerfisher wrote:

I think I recall my Dad using diesel fuel as a weed killer. Can this be
correct? Can it be put in a sprayer and used down the side of the driveway
to kill grass? How much do you use and how long does it take?

Thanks to all posts.

Most all our dads also used lead paint...smoked 2-3 packs a day and
slung empty glass bottles out the car window while driving down the
road. Much better alternatives out there to use. The diesel will act as
a long term herbicide where you place it but it will also drift from the
area through the soil contaminate beyond where you use it, possibly some
vegetation you don't want killed.

Lar

Bad for the aquafir aquafur aquafer,,,,water table too!
:-Dean

Totally irrelevant.
Totally benign.

Otherwise, how could be justify putting millions/billions of pounds of
salt on roads each winter.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 3, 4:55 pm, "Mich..." wrote:
"ecarecar" wrote in message

Dean wrote:

On Apr 30, 10:43 pm, Lar wrote:

rogerfisher wrote:

[...]

Mich...- Hide quoted text -

Dunno,,maybe the trade-off of lives saved and getting to work due to
better traction is worth the risk.
No wonder it's being said that "water is the new oil"..lol. Double
meaning?
I'm no "green machine" I just remember when I was thinking of using
old gas n oil to treat instead of weedeat and My neighbor gave Me a
speech about the well water.Maybe it sunk in.
Dean

Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 1, 1:49 pm, wrote:
On May 1, 7:41 am, "Mich..." wrote:

"Lar" wrote in message

... rogerfisher wrote:

[...]

HEY! Diesel at $3.00 per gallon. Sh**** Its near to 5.00 here in UK
($10.00) No wonder you Americans are sooooo rich. :-)
Regards
Data

Old 23-05-2007, 07:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 30, 8:15 pm, "rogerfisher" wrote:
I think I recall my Dad using diesel fuel as a weed killer. Can this be
correct? Can it be put in a sprayer and used down the side of the driveway
to kill grass? How much do you use and how long does it take?

Thanks to all posts.

I recently read that vinegar can be used on weeds. Bought 3 gallons,
put it in a sprayer, and the weeds (dandelions) turned dead & yellow
within 48 hours. Amazing, and even safer (if you drank it) than
bleach or diesel fuel. It's a contact killer, though, so it will also
take out any grass it touches, to a lesser extent.

However, the notion that the spot use of diesel for weeds is a
horrible environmental pollutant reminded me of this:

http://origin.theonion.com/content/node/28362

Old 14-07-2015, 04:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

replying to rogerfisher , I am more enviromentally conscious than a lot of
people, as I don't drive a SUV wrote:
rogerfisher wrote:

I think I recall my Dad using diesel fuel as a weed killer. Can this be
correct? Can it be put in a sprayer and used down the side of the

driveway
to kill grass? How much do you use and how long does it take?
Thanks to all posts.

Diesel fuel is an excellent weed killer. Try mixing it 50 / 50 with used
motor oil from your car, & it will kill any pesky weeds, & keep them dead.
The people who like to claim how they have gone "green", & are crying
about how it is harmful to the environment, are the very same people who
are driving around in behemoth SUV's that get 12 mpg.