GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Zoysia Grass (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/1587-re-zoysia-grass.html)

Ross 29-09-2002 01:05 PM

Zoysia Grass

Thank you for the reply, I ordered about 50 plugs here a few weeks ago and
planted them in a spot in my front yard were nothing has done very well in
the 5 years since we built this house. So this will give me an idea how this
grass grows and looks..

"blubluh" wrote in message
Doug wrote in
:

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 06:39:47 GMT, "Ross" wrote:

Is zoysia grass that bad? Is there anyone in this newsgroup that has

Ross

I've neve had Zoysia grass, but I've always heard that once it takes
hold, it grows very thick and crowds out undesirable grasses and weeds
over time. Unfortunately, it's among the first to go dormant when the
weather cools and you get your first frost and also one of the last to
green up in the spring. So the growing season is short. Ask your
county extension office for an opinion.

I have zoysia in my front yard and I like it a lot. Yes, it does go

dormant
quickly, turning light brown like hay, but it also stands up to a beating,
high heat and little water.

Up here in the NE, we've had little rain this year and the grass turns
brown when it cannot grow, but within days after a rainfall, it pops back
to life.

I think that the weed crowding thing is a great feature, too.

For me, the downside is that to sod a lawn with Zoysia is far mnore
expensive than other strains of grass. Other than that, I'd choose it over
another strain any time!

Good luck with whatever you choose! :-)
--
Regards,
blubluh

Dave305 30-09-2002 02:17 AM

Zoysia Grass

Ross wrote:

Thank you for the reply, I ordered about 50 plugs here a few weeks ago and
planted them in a spot in my front yard were nothing has done very well
in the 5 years since we built this house. So this will give me an idea how
this grass grows and looks..

One thing, it would be nice to check with the people next door (if any).
The people next to me reseeded their lawn with it and now it is making it's
way into my yard and I am none to happy with it/them.

--
Dave

Dave305 30-09-2002 06:25 AM

Zoysia Grass

wrote:

Dave305 wrote:
One thing, it would be nice to check with the people next door (if any).
The people next to me reseeded their lawn with it and now it is making
it's way into my yard and I am none to happy with it/them.

That's a very good point,Dave. Zoysia is very invasive,it's one of it's
bad points. Another bad point is it's real hard to kill,even with
round-up.

Bad news if it's in you yard,uninvited..

Not a nice way to make friends for sure. I am thinking of laying a cement
edging along the side of the house (grass barrior if you will). One good
thing is it's short growing season and I hope if I keep it trimmed bare it
might die during the fall & winter (I know, wishfull thinking :).

--
Dave

[email protected] 30-09-2002 06:39 AM

Zoysia Grass

Dave305 wrote:
Ross wrote:

Thank you for the reply, I ordered about 50 plugs here a few weeks ago
and planted them in a spot in my front yard were nothing has done very
well in the 5 years since we built this house. So this will give me an
idea how this grass grows and looks..

One thing, it would be nice to check with the people next door (if any).

The people next to me reseeded their lawn with it and now it is making
it's way into my yard and I am none to happy with it/them.

That's a very good point,Dave. Zoysia is very invasive,it's one of it's bad
points. Another bad point is it's real hard to kill,even with round-up.

Bad news if it's in you yard,uninvited..

--
God Bless America - http://members.aol.com/flyitproudly/flag.html

Go#40 Usenet Newsgroup Service