GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   how much water can i add? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/161912-how-much-water-can-i-add.html)

rb 19-07-2007 10:06 PM

how much water can i add?

I'm going to be doing a fair amount of "borders" type work with sprayer and
weed/grass killer.

My question is how much, in general, can you cut the stuff you get at Lowes,
Home Depot, etc (Roundup, ShootOut, Ortho, etc) with water without losing
much effectiveness? I guess it's a way of asking just how concentrated are
most of those products?

Eggs Zachtly 19-07-2007 11:16 PM

how much water can i add?

rb said:

I'm going to be doing a fair amount of "borders" type work with sprayer and
weed/grass killer.

My question is how much, in general, can you cut the stuff you get at Lowes,
Home Depot, etc (Roundup, ShootOut, Ortho, etc) with water without losing
much effectiveness? I guess it's a way of asking just how concentrated are
most of those products?

They vary. Read the labels.

--

Eggs

- Listen: Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for
a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate
from the masses, not from some... farcical aquatic ceremony!

Steveo 20-07-2007 01:15 AM

how much water can i add?

"rb" wrote:
I'm going to be doing a fair amount of "borders" type work with sprayer
and weed/grass killer.

My question is how much, in general, can you cut the stuff you get at
Lowes, Home Depot, etc (Roundup, ShootOut, Ortho, etc) with water without
losing much effectiveness? I guess it's a way of asking just how
concentrated are most of those products?

You may get away with cutting the water in half or more but the efficacy
might be compromised a tad. Depends on the target.

You have to be careful about bleed too. (into the non-target surrounding
plant material)

Steveo 20-07-2007 01:20 AM

how much water can i add?

wrote:
rb said:

I'm going to be doing a fair amount of "borders" type work with sprayer
and weed/grass killer.

My question is how much, in general, can you cut the stuff you get at
Lowes, Home Depot, etc (Roundup, ShootOut, Ortho, etc) with water
without losing much effectiveness? I guess it's a way of asking just
how concentrated are most of those products?

They vary. Read the labels.

I read it as he wants to use less water than the label suggests. (less
refills) I could be wrong.

Dave 20-07-2007 05:20 PM

how much water can i add?

"rb" wrote in message
I'm going to be doing a fair amount of "borders" type work with sprayer
and weed/grass killer.

My question is how much, in general, can you cut the stuff you get at
Lowes, Home Depot, etc (Roundup, ShootOut, Ortho, etc) with water without
losing much effectiveness? I guess it's a way of asking just how
concentrated are most of those products?

My experience with Roundup in ultra concentrated bottle. Don't water it
down if you have any bermuda grass on the border areas you want eradicated.
Takes more that one round to kill it. So, I guess that what you're trying
to eradicate is also a factor in the question as well.
Dave

Clark[_2_] 20-07-2007 10:34 PM

how much water can i add?

"rb" wrote in message
I'm going to be doing a fair amount of "borders" type work with sprayer
and weed/grass killer.

My question is how much, in general, can you cut the stuff you get at
Lowes, Home Depot, etc (Roundup, ShootOut, Ortho, etc) with water without
losing much effectiveness? I guess it's a way of asking just how
concentrated are most of those products?

I like Brush B Gone from Ortho

Clark

[email protected] 25-07-2007 07:38 PM

how much water can i add?

i think roundup is 17% glyphosate . so 4 0z per gallon gets most grass
and weeds, a stronger mix for vines and such. you can get 41% glyphosate
at southern states or ebay in 2.5 gallon jugs for 50.00 -80.00 . i use 2
0z per gallon of 41% for about everything . but i guess youd have to
experement on useing less than reccomended. lucas