GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advice on Mower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/164168-advice-mower.html)

Leigh_Stenson 29-08-2007 08:08 PM

Advice on Mower

Just been given a Mountfield SP470 powered mower. This was given by a widow so she has no knowlege about the operation of the mower and there is no documentation. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine and is I guess 8-10 years old. What fuel do I put in ordinary unleaded or do I needsome two stroke mixture and if I do what is the ratio. I have not had much success on the net I was wondering if anyone here had any advice

Eggs Zachtly 29-08-2007 11:05 PM

Advice on Mower

Leigh_Stenson said:

Just been given a Mountfield SP470 powered mower. This was given by a
widow so she has no knowlege about the operation of the mower and there
is no documentation.

She probably stole it. =P

It has a Briggs and Stratton engine and is I guess
8-10 years old.

Has it been used, on a regular basis? Or, has it been sitting in a shed for
all that time? (I'd change the oil, before trying to start it.)

What fuel do I put in ordinary unleaded or do I
needsome two stroke mixture and if I do what is the ratio.

Unleaded.

[rest snipped]

--

Eggs

After heat killed bad germs, where do they go? Obviously not in heaven,
since they've been bad. Surely then can't go to hell, for the heat would
kill them again(?)...

Willshak 30-08-2007 12:51 AM

Advice on Mower

on 8/29/2007 3:08 PM Leigh_Stenson said the following:
Just been given a Mountfield SP470 powered mower. This was given by a
widow so she has no knowlege about the operation of the mower and there
is no documentation. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine and is I guess
8-10 years old. What fuel do I put in ordinary unleaded or do I
needsome two stroke mixture and if I do what is the ratio. I have not
had much success on the net I was wondering if anyone here had any
advice

Does it have an oil check dip stick? If so, it's a 4 cycle and uses
regular gas.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Jim 30-08-2007 03:37 AM

Advice on Mower

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

willshak said:
Leigh_Stenson said the following:

[....]
What fuel do I put in

[....]

Does it have an oil check dip stick? If so, it's a 4 cycle and uses
regular gas.

Not all 4-stroke B&S have/had sticks. They /all/ have/had a place to add
oil, by itself, though.

true. and sadly there was always one who would
fill it completely to the top and ruin the little
motor.

Eggs Zachtly 30-08-2007 03:52 AM

Advice on Mower

willshak said:

on 8/29/2007 3:08 PM Leigh_Stenson said the following:
Just been given a Mountfield SP470 powered mower. This was given by a
widow so she has no knowlege about the operation of the mower and there
is no documentation. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine and is I guess
8-10 years old. What fuel do I put in ordinary unleaded or do I
needsome two stroke mixture and if I do what is the ratio. I have not
had much success on the net I was wondering if anyone here had any
advice

Does it have an oil check dip stick? If so, it's a 4 cycle and uses
regular gas.

Not all 4-stroke B&S have/had sticks. They /all/ have/had a place to add
oil, by itself, though.

--

Eggs

After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?

James 31-08-2007 11:11 PM

Snapper Hi-Wheel Mower ??

Does anyone here have the Snapper 7 HP walk behind, hi-wheel mower ?

If so, how well do you like it ??

thanks

James

Marquis 10-06-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 744171)
Does anyone here have the Snapper 7 HP walk behind, hi-wheel mower ?

If so, how well do you like it ??

thanks

James

The snappers I have seen look well built. I know someone with an old snapper & they have used it for many years on rough grass.