Old 29-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Registered User

Location: NE
Default Advice on Mower

Just been given a Mountfield SP470 powered mower. This was given by a widow so she has no knowlege about the operation of the mower and there is no documentation. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine and is I guess 8-10 years old. What fuel do I put in ordinary unleaded or do I needsome two stroke mixture and if I do what is the ratio. I have not had much success on the net I was wondering if anyone here had any advice
Old 29-08-2007, 11:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Leigh_Stenson said:

Just been given a Mountfield SP470 powered mower. This was given by a
widow so she has no knowlege about the operation of the mower and there
is no documentation.

She probably stole it. =P

It has a Briggs and Stratton engine and is I guess
8-10 years old.

Has it been used, on a regular basis? Or, has it been sitting in a shed for
all that time? (I'd change the oil, before trying to start it.)

What fuel do I put in ordinary unleaded or do I
needsome two stroke mixture and if I do what is the ratio.

Unleaded.

[rest snipped]

--

Eggs

After heat killed bad germs, where do they go? Obviously not in heaven,
since they've been bad. Surely then can't go to hell, for the heat would
kill them again(?)...
Old 30-08-2007, 12:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 8/29/2007 3:08 PM Leigh_Stenson said the following:
Just been given a Mountfield SP470 powered mower. This was given by a
widow so she has no knowlege about the operation of the mower and there
is no documentation. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine and is I guess
8-10 years old. What fuel do I put in ordinary unleaded or do I
needsome two stroke mixture and if I do what is the ratio. I have not
had much success on the net I was wondering if anyone here had any
advice

Does it have an oil check dip stick? If so, it's a 4 cycle and uses
regular gas.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 30-08-2007, 03:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

willshak said:
Leigh_Stenson said the following:

[....]
What fuel do I put in

[....]

Does it have an oil check dip stick? If so, it's a 4 cycle and uses
regular gas.

Not all 4-stroke B&S have/had sticks. They /all/ have/had a place to add
oil, by itself, though.

true. and sadly there was always one who would
fill it completely to the top and ruin the little
motor.
Old 30-08-2007, 03:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

willshak said:

on 8/29/2007 3:08 PM Leigh_Stenson said the following:
Just been given a Mountfield SP470 powered mower. This was given by a
widow so she has no knowlege about the operation of the mower and there
is no documentation. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine and is I guess
8-10 years old. What fuel do I put in ordinary unleaded or do I
needsome two stroke mixture and if I do what is the ratio. I have not
had much success on the net I was wondering if anyone here had any
advice

Does it have an oil check dip stick? If so, it's a 4 cycle and uses
regular gas.

Not all 4-stroke B&S have/had sticks. They /all/ have/had a place to add
oil, by itself, though.

--

Eggs

After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?

Old 31-08-2007, 11:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Snapper Hi-Wheel Mower ??

Does anyone here have the Snapper 7 HP walk behind, hi-wheel mower ?

If so, how well do you like it ??

thanks

James

Old 10-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Ipswich

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Does anyone here have the Snapper 7 HP walk behind, hi-wheel mower ?

If so, how well do you like it ??

thanks

James

The snappers I have seen look well built. I know someone with an old snapper & they have used it for many years on rough grass.
Regards,

Paul