Old 03-09-2007, 03:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Craftman loss of power Model 944.600811

Hi all,

First post, really need some advice here.

I have the 22hp, 46" cut electric start lawn tractor purchased in
2000, I'm the third owner. Was cutting the lawn with the catcher on,
there was a lot of stress on the mower when the drive cut-out. I
suspected a slipped belt/idle pulley problem--that was not it. I
pushed the thing back and checked out the transmission
and made all the factory adjustments. The tranny is fine, all is at
factory specs. In the process I noticed that the engine pulley
(#140189) was separated into its upper and lower sections. The upper
section could slide on the pulley shaft, causing the v-groove belt to
wander, I initially thought this was part of the design. Now that I
have eliminated all the other possibilities, I think the pulley must
have separated, and that is the cause of the loss of drive. If that is
correct, it amazes me that this part could separate, it appears to be
made out of stamped thin metal (the idler pulleys are plastic!).
Question is: Is the engine pulley a single piece, or was it meant to
separate? Is this the likely cause of the problem?

Thanks,

John

PS, I also posted this in the Craftman tractor group, but it has very
low activity.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

No wonder the first two owners sold it. Did you hit a 10" stick ? No - it
shouldn't split.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Am I ever gonna live that one down,
It was the blades not the mower, sigh...
Clark.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Clark" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

The blages ? I thought it was unaminous that we decided it was the driver
chuckle

Old 04-09-2007, 02:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko said:

"Clark" wrote in message

Srgnt Billko wrote:

No wonder the first two owners sold it. Did you hit a 10" stick ? No
- it shouldn't split.

Am I ever gonna live that one down,
It was the blades not the mower, sigh...
Clark.

The blages ? I thought it was unaminous that we decided it was the driver
chuckle

HEH.

--

Eggs

- If I went 'round, saying I was an emperor, just because some moistened
bink had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Old 04-09-2007, 03:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko wrote:
"Clark" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

yea that too. grin.

Clark

Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 9/3/2007 10:52 AM said the following:
[...]

No, it shouldn't have separated. It was probably two pieces to begin
with and spot welded together to form the pulley. Can it be removed?
If so, get a new pulley, or have someone (or you) drill holes through
each half and steel rivet or bolt the two halves together, or have the
two halves welded together .

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 05-09-2007, 01:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 4, 12:17 pm, willshak wrote:
[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

I was able to remove the piece. Locked the shaft using a small pipe
wrench, shaft bolt came right out, pulley practically fell off. If I
had a welder I might have tried a fix, but it was unevenly worn, and a
new piece is $36CDN, not to bad.

John

Loss of Power Tony Hwang Ponds 0 25-12-2007 09:10 PM
Kemp Model # K6CH chipper: Does anyone know this model? reed valleau Gardening 0 10-06-2005 11:21 AM
Anyone else with a Craftman mower? Mike B Lawns 1 19-05-2004 06:14 PM
plant growth model Mauro Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:31 PM
plant growth model Mauro Plant Science 1 12-04-2003 08:08 PM