GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New toy (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/165365-new-toy.html)

Srgnt Billko 25-09-2007 11:39 PM

New toy

Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the only
model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Clark[_2_] 25-09-2007 11:50 PM

New toy

Srgnt Billko wrote:
Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's
the only model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

I been meaning to get one for years, Imagine the stories I'd have for the
group.
Think how quick you could cook a burger!
Seriously I don't think I could trust myself with one.

I can here it now, Stop chasing the cat with that thing!!!

Clark

Will burn pine sticks? Nevermind ;-)

Srgnt Billko 26-09-2007 12:28 AM

New toy

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko said:

Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the
only
model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Damn. What a let-down. I thought for sure the body of the post was gonna
have a link to a gourd gun. =/

You coulda got a bigger one at a WWII surplus store. Torch the whole patch
from the back porch. ;)

--

Eggs

What did they burn ? Kerosene ? Someone recently mentioned that there were
domestic kero torches years ago.

xPosTech[_2_] 26-09-2007 12:55 AM

New toy

On 9/25/2007 5:39 PM, Srgnt Billko wrote:
Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the only
model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Do you have to lug that big 20lb bottle around or keep refillin' the
little Coleman bottles?

--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most
trivial of things can become deadly projectiles.

Eggs Zachtly 26-09-2007 01:06 AM

New toy

Srgnt Billko said:

Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the only
model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Damn. What a let-down. I thought for sure the body of the post was gonna
have a link to a gourd gun. =/

You coulda got a bigger one at a WWII surplus store. Torch the whole patch
from the back porch. ;)

--

Eggs

- Reset Universe? (Y)es (N)o

Eggs Zachtly 26-09-2007 01:58 AM

New toy

Srgnt Billko said:

Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the
only
model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Damn. What a let-down. I thought for sure the body of the post was gonna
have a link to a gourd gun. =/

You coulda got a bigger one at a WWII surplus store. Torch the whole patch
from the back porch. ;)

--

Eggs

What did they burn ? Kerosene ?

Depending on the (US) model, either gasoline (M1), or gasoline thickened
with napalm (M1A1 which shot further, and well, you can imagine the rest ;)
). The propellant was usually compressed nitrogen. You could probably find
one of the mechanized ones (for mounting on a vehicle, like... say... a
tractor, HEH) at a military salvage yard. =D

Could be the start of a whole industry, Sarge. I think you should go for
it. =)

--

Eggs

Is it possible to be totally partial?

Srgnt Billko 26-09-2007 02:45 PM

New toy

"xPosTech" wrote in message
On 9/25/2007 5:39 PM, Srgnt Billko wrote:
Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the
only model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Do you have to lug that big 20lb bottle around or keep refillin' the
little Coleman bottles?

--
Ted

I have a few of those cheap ($10) dollies. I'll mount the 20#er on one of
those. So far it looks like the torch is adjustable but since I'll be
tempted to *max* I don't think the one pound bottles would last long. But
since I "lug" chain saws around (including a 20"), I don't see it as a huge
problem.

Eggs Zachtly 26-09-2007 10:47 PM

New toy

Srgnt Billko said:

"xPosTech" wrote in message
On 9/25/2007 5:39 PM, Srgnt Billko wrote:
Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the
only model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Do you have to lug that big 20lb bottle around or keep refillin' the
little Coleman bottles?

--
Ted

I have a few of those cheap ($10) dollies. I'll mount the 20#er on one of
those. So far it looks like the torch is adjustable but since I'll be
tempted to *max* I don't think the one pound bottles would last long. But
since I "lug" chain saws around (including a 20"), I don't see it as a huge
problem.

WWII throwers lasted only about 10-11 seconds, wide open. I can't imagine
how intense that would be. =)

--

Eggs

-I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.