Old 25-09-2007, 11:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default New toy

Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the only
model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Old 25-09-2007, 11:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko wrote:
Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's
the only model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

I been meaning to get one for years, Imagine the stories I'd have for the
group.
Think how quick you could cook a burger!
Seriously I don't think I could trust myself with one.

I can here it now, Stop chasing the cat with that thing!!!

Clark

Will burn pine sticks? Nevermind ;-)

Old 26-09-2007, 12:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko said:

Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the
only
model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Damn. What a let-down. I thought for sure the body of the post was gonna
have a link to a gourd gun. =/

You coulda got a bigger one at a WWII surplus store. Torch the whole patch
from the back porch.

--

Eggs

What did they burn ? Kerosene ? Someone recently mentioned that there were
domestic kero torches years ago.

Old 26-09-2007, 12:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 9/25/2007 5:39 PM, Srgnt Billko wrote:
Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the only
model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Do you have to lug that big 20lb bottle around or keep refillin' the
little Coleman bottles?

--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most
trivial of things can become deadly projectiles.
Old 26-09-2007, 01:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko said:

Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the only
model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Damn. What a let-down. I thought for sure the body of the post was gonna
have a link to a gourd gun. =/

You coulda got a bigger one at a WWII surplus store. Torch the whole patch
from the back porch.

--

Eggs

- Reset Universe? (Y)es (N)o

Old 26-09-2007, 01:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko said:

Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the
only
model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Damn. What a let-down. I thought for sure the body of the post was gonna
have a link to a gourd gun. =/

You coulda got a bigger one at a WWII surplus store. Torch the whole patch
from the back porch.

--

Eggs

What did they burn ? Kerosene ?

Depending on the (US) model, either gasoline (M1), or gasoline thickened
with napalm (M1A1 which shot further, and well, you can imagine the rest
). The propellant was usually compressed nitrogen. You could probably find
one of the mechanized ones (for mounting on a vehicle, like... say... a
tractor, HEH) at a military salvage yard. =D

Could be the start of a whole industry, Sarge. I think you should go for
it. =)

--

Eggs

Is it possible to be totally partial?
Old 26-09-2007, 02:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"xPosTech" wrote in message
On 9/25/2007 5:39 PM, Srgnt Billko wrote:
Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the
only model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Do you have to lug that big 20lb bottle around or keep refillin' the
little Coleman bottles?

--
Ted

I have a few of those cheap ($10) dollies. I'll mount the 20#er on one of
those. So far it looks like the torch is adjustable but since I'll be
tempted to *max* I don't think the one pound bottles would last long. But
since I "lug" chain saws around (including a 20"), I don't see it as a huge
problem.

Old 26-09-2007, 10:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko said:

"xPosTech" wrote in message
On 9/25/2007 5:39 PM, Srgnt Billko wrote:
Sprung for a 500,000 btu "weed torch" from Ace hardware. Watch out
thistle - here I come !! I know - it's a little overkill but that's the
only model they had in stock - and I am hot to trot. (so to speak)

Do you have to lug that big 20lb bottle around or keep refillin' the
little Coleman bottles?

--
Ted

I have a few of those cheap ($10) dollies. I'll mount the 20#er on one of
those. So far it looks like the torch is adjustable but since I'll be
tempted to *max* I don't think the one pound bottles would last long. But
since I "lug" chain saws around (including a 20"), I don't see it as a huge
problem.

WWII throwers lasted only about 10-11 seconds, wide open. I can't imagine
how intense that would be. =)

--

Eggs

-I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.