GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lowes - Troybilt (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/165628-lowes-troybilt.html)

Dave 05-10-2007 06:14 AM

Lowes - Troybilt

If anyone is tempted to buy the bottom of the line Troybilt riding mower
(Pony) from Lowes, don't. The deck only raises/lowers on the rear. The
front of the deck is pin mounted. Doesn't move up or down. Any minor bumps
in the landscape, scrape goes the blade... Purpose of a deck the only move
up and down in the rear?
Dave

[email protected] 05-10-2007 10:02 AM

Lowes - Troybilt

Dave wrote:
If anyone is tempted to buy the bottom of the line Troybilt riding mower
(Pony) from Lowes, don't. The deck only raises/lowers on the rear. The
front of the deck is pin mounted. Doesn't move up or down. Any minor bumps
in the landscape, scrape goes the blade... Purpose of a deck the only move
up and down in the rear?
Dave

I believe the pin is threaded at the tractor mount point and is adjustable.

[email protected] 05-10-2007 09:44 PM

Lowes - Troybilt

On Oct 5, 5:02 am, wrote:
Dave wrote:
If anyone is tempted to buy the bottom of the line Troybilt riding mower
(Pony) from Lowes, don't. The deck only raises/lowers on the rear. The
front of the deck is pin mounted. Doesn't move up or down. Any minor bumps
in the landscape, scrape goes the blade... Purpose of a deck the only move
up and down in the rear?
Dave

I believe the pin is threaded at the tractor mount point and is adjustable.

That is true, u adjust from the front. There are two bolts that
protrude from the lower front of the mower. I have this mower and
LOVE it. It gives a good clean cut, rides good, and is versitile with
attachments. Perhaps you have the deck too on the side adjustment
lever. Or u have some reallly bad bumps in your landscape. I have a
few unevenesses in my lawn, but no big deal. I did however almost tip
the thing twice, but that is because I get a little to agressive
around trees, and when I am done I like to run as fast as I can back
to the house. Thats on speed 7. Probably that I am very tallthe
center of gravity is working against me, oh well!

[email protected] 05-10-2007 10:15 PM

Lowes - Troybilt

On Oct 5, 4:44 pm, wrote:
On Oct 5, 5:02 am, wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The hood
on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go figure,
pay less for better construction!

Steveo 05-10-2007 10:24 PM

Lowes - Troybilt

wrote:
OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The hood

on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go figure,
pay less for better construction!

I'd take a fiberglass mowing deck over a steel unit, no corrosion.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/

Srgnt Billko 05-10-2007 10:35 PM

Lowes - Troybilt

"Steveo" wrote in message
OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The hood

on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go figure,
pay less for better construction!

I'd take a fiberglass mowing deck over a steel unit, no corrosion.

I've never seen a fiberglass mowing deck - but I don't think that is what he
is refering to. I think he meant steel vs fiberglass HOOD. I have both and
don't prefer one over the other.

Steveo 05-10-2007 10:53 PM

Lowes - Troybilt

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The hood
on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go figure,
pay less for better construction!

I'd take a fiberglass mowing deck over a steel unit, no corrosion.

I've never seen a fiberglass mowing deck - but I don't think that is what
he is refering to. I think he meant steel vs fiberglass HOOD.

I know THAT, I'm just saying plastic is not always inferior to steel as a
construction material.

You've never seen one because it would last too long.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/

Willshak 05-10-2007 11:12 PM

Lowes - Troybilt

on 10/5/2007 5:53 PM Steveo said the following:
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message

OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The hood

on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go figure,
pay less for better construction!

I'd take a fiberglass mowing deck over a steel unit, no corrosion.

I've never seen a fiberglass mowing deck - but I don't think that is what
he is refering to. I think he meant steel vs fiberglass HOOD.

I know THAT, I'm just saying plastic is not always inferior to steel as a
construction material.

You've never seen one because it would last too long.

Nice try at saving face, but no cigar.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Srgnt Billko 06-10-2007 12:59 AM

Lowes - Troybilt

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message

OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The hood

on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go figure,
pay less for better construction!

I'd take a fiberglass mowing deck over a steel unit, no corrosion.

I've never seen a fiberglass mowing deck - but I don't think that is
what
he is refering to. I think he meant steel vs fiberglass HOOD.

I know THAT, I'm just saying plastic is not always inferior to steel as a
construction material.

You've never seen one because it would last too long.

Nice try at saving face, but no cigar.
Bill

Not that it makes much difference - but I don't think he means "fiberglass".
I think he means one of the stronger plastics. There are some pretty strong
but they won't resist fatigue like steel will.

Willshak 06-10-2007 04:29 AM

Lowes - Troybilt

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message

OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The hood

on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go figure,
pay less for better construction!

I'd take a fiberglass mowing deck over a steel unit, no corrosion.

I've never seen a fiberglass mowing deck - but I don't think that is
what
he is refering to. I think he meant steel vs fiberglass HOOD.

I know THAT, I'm just saying plastic is not always inferior to steel as a
construction material.

You've never seen one because it would last too long.

Nice try at saving face, but no cigar.
Bill

Not that it makes much difference - but I don't think he means "fiberglass".
I think he means one of the stronger plastics. There are some pretty strong
but they won't resist fatigue like steel will.

The OP was not talking about a mower deck. He was talking about a
tractor hood (bonnet). I suppose fiberglass would make nice fenders
too, but that doesn't address the plastic hood costing more than a metal
hood.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Steveo 06-10-2007 05:01 AM

Lowes - Troybilt

willshak wrote:
You've never seen one because it would last too long.

Nice try at saving face, but no cigar.

Saving face? Steel rots, especially when subjected to the wet environment
of a cutting deck, fiberglass is impervious to it. That's why they don't
make them out of plastic. Your cutting -deck- would last much longer than
the tractor.

I like a good cigar as long as you're buying, billy.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/

Steveo 06-10-2007 05:04 AM

Lowes - Troybilt

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message

OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The
hood

on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go
figure, pay less for better construction!

I'd take a fiberglass mowing deck over a steel unit, no corrosion.

I've never seen a fiberglass mowing deck - but I don't think that is
what
he is refering to. I think he meant steel vs fiberglass HOOD.

I know THAT, I'm just saying plastic is not always inferior to steel
as a construction material.

You've never seen one because it would last too long.

Nice try at saving face, but no cigar.
Bill

Not that it makes much difference - but I don't think he means
"fiberglass". I think he means one of the stronger plastics. There are
some pretty strong but they won't resist fatigue like steel will.

They make frames out of it for bigger machines than lawn tractors.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/

Srgnt Billko 06-10-2007 05:07 AM

Lowes - Troybilt

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message

[...]

I disagree. The OP was specifically talking about the mower deck - and
mentioned nothing about cost. But I was not responding to the OP.