Old 05-10-2007, 06:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lowes - Troybilt

If anyone is tempted to buy the bottom of the line Troybilt riding mower
(Pony) from Lowes, don't. The deck only raises/lowers on the rear. The
front of the deck is pin mounted. Doesn't move up or down. Any minor bumps
in the landscape, scrape goes the blade... Purpose of a deck the only move
up and down in the rear?
Dave

Old 05-10-2007, 10:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dave wrote:
If anyone is tempted to buy the bottom of the line Troybilt riding mower
(Pony) from Lowes, don't. The deck only raises/lowers on the rear. The
front of the deck is pin mounted. Doesn't move up or down. Any minor bumps
in the landscape, scrape goes the blade... Purpose of a deck the only move
up and down in the rear?
Dave

I believe the pin is threaded at the tractor mount point and is adjustable.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 5, 5:02 am, wrote:
Dave wrote:
If anyone is tempted to buy the bottom of the line Troybilt riding mower
(Pony) from Lowes, don't. The deck only raises/lowers on the rear. The
front of the deck is pin mounted. Doesn't move up or down. Any minor bumps
in the landscape, scrape goes the blade... Purpose of a deck the only move
up and down in the rear?
Dave

I believe the pin is threaded at the tractor mount point and is adjustable.

That is true, u adjust from the front. There are two bolts that
protrude from the lower front of the mower. I have this mower and
LOVE it. It gives a good clean cut, rides good, and is versitile with
attachments. Perhaps you have the deck too on the side adjustment
lever. Or u have some reallly bad bumps in your landscape. I have a
few unevenesses in my lawn, but no big deal. I did however almost tip
the thing twice, but that is because I get a little to agressive
around trees, and when I am done I like to run as fast as I can back
to the house. Thats on speed 7. Probably that I am very tallthe
center of gravity is working against me, oh well!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 5, 4:44 pm, wrote:
On Oct 5, 5:02 am, wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The hood
on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go figure,
pay less for better construction!

Old 06-10-2007, 04:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 5, 7:59 pm, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

on 10/5/2007 5:53 PM Steveo said the following:
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message

OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The hood

on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go figure,
pay less for better construction!

I'd take a fiberglass mowing deck over a steel unit, no corrosion.

I've never seen a fiberglass mowing deck - but I don't think that is
what
he is refering to. I think he meant steel vs fiberglass HOOD.

I know THAT, I'm just saying plastic is not always inferior to steel as a
construction material.

You've never seen one because it would last too long.

Nice try at saving face, but no cigar.
Bill

Not that it makes much difference - but I don't think he means "fiberglass".
I think he means one of the stronger plastics. There are some pretty strong
but they won't resist fatigue like steel will.

thank u!

Old 06-10-2007, 04:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message

OOOPPS. I also forgot to mention that they are all metal. The hood

on higher priced john deere and such have plastic hoods. Go figure,
pay less for better construction!

I'd take a fiberglass mowing deck over a steel unit, no corrosion.

I've never seen a fiberglass mowing deck - but I don't think that is
what
he is refering to. I think he meant steel vs fiberglass HOOD.

I know THAT, I'm just saying plastic is not always inferior to steel as a
construction material.

You've never seen one because it would last too long.

Nice try at saving face, but no cigar.
Bill

Not that it makes much difference - but I don't think he means "fiberglass".
I think he means one of the stronger plastics. There are some pretty strong
but they won't resist fatigue like steel will.

The OP was not talking about a mower deck. He was talking about a
tractor hood (bonnet). I suppose fiberglass would make nice fenders
too, but that doesn't address the plastic hood costing more than a metal
hood.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 06-10-2007, 05:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

willshak wrote:
You've never seen one because it would last too long.

Nice try at saving face, but no cigar.

Saving face? Steel rots, especially when subjected to the wet environment
of a cutting deck, fiberglass is impervious to it. That's why they don't
make them out of plastic. Your cutting -deck- would last much longer than
the tractor.

I like a good cigar as long as you're buying, billy.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 06-10-2007, 05:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message

[...]

I disagree. The OP was specifically talking about the mower deck - and
mentioned nothing about cost. But I was not responding to the OP.