Old 10-03-2008, 12:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default blown motor on craftsman rider

I think I blew an eight year old 22hp rider B&S engine. I should have told
my son to keep checking the oil. A new engine is $1400. and new rider is
$1500. Is it expensive to have an engine rebuilt? I feel so stupid about
the whold thing... I was hoping someone might shed a little light on this.
Thanx for any input. Brendan

Old 10-03-2008, 03:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 9, 7:39*pm, "Brendan" wrote:

I think I blew an eight year old 22hp rider B&S engine. *I should have told
my son to keep checking the oil. A new engine is $1400. and new rider is
$1500. *Is it expensive to have an engine rebuilt? *

Yes. Repair parts are very expensive. A few years back I priced parts
to rebuild a 18hp B&S and they totaled nearly $900. Probably higher
than that now. Add labor to that and you're close to the price of a
new engine. I opted for a new mower.

KC

Old 12-03-2008, 10:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Brendan wrote:
I think I blew an eight year old 22hp rider B&S engine. I should have told
my son to keep checking the oil. A new engine is $1400. and new rider is
$1500. Is it expensive to have an engine rebuilt? I feel so stupid about
the whold thing... I was hoping someone might shed a little light on this.
Thanx for any input. Brendan

Unfortunately, machines like this are now basically disposable. If you
had bought a John Deere or a Wheel Horse, the tractor would be worth
spending the money for an engine or short block. But the cost of a short
block will be at least 85% the cost of the new engine installed, and
only has a 90 day manufacturer warranty on the part. The new engine
comes with a new two year warranty (non-commercial). But for another
$100, you get not just a new engine, but also a new transmission, deck,
frame, seat, etc. And if you look carefully at the eight year old one,
I'm sure you'll find the front axle loose in the frame, bends and
cracking in the deck, and possibly hard shifting in the transmission.

Just remember, if the engine is $1400, just how much do you think they
spent to build the rest of the tractor?