GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Low Power & Smoke - Lawnboy (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/175959-low-power-smoke-lawnboy.html)

ecarecar 15-06-2008 10:50 PM

Low Power & Smoke - Lawnboy

I have a Lawnboy model 6872 or maybe 7268.

Anyway, it was running fine, then I noticed that the power went down
and it started smoking.

After it cooled, I started it and it ran more or less normally then after
4 or 5 minutes starts smoking with low power.

Compression seems normal.

Anyone know what happened or how I could figure out what happened?

Srgnt Billko 16-06-2008 12:34 AM

Low Power & Smoke - Lawnboy

"ecarecar" wrote in message
et...
I have a Lawnboy model 6872 or maybe 7268.

Anyway, it was running fine, then I noticed that the power went down
and it started smoking.

After it cooled, I started it and it ran more or less normally then after
4 or 5 minutes starts smoking with low power.

Compression seems normal.

Anyone know what happened or how I could figure out what happened?

Is it possible for you to check the compression when it is hot ? Something
must change as it heats up.
Do you have to keep adding oil ?

Sarge

[email protected] 16-06-2008 10:52 AM

Low Power & Smoke - Lawnboy

if its a 2 stroke , exhuast may be clogged up.

Stubby[_2_] 16-06-2008 01:50 PM

Low Power & Smoke - Lawnboy

wrote in message
if its a 2 stroke , exhuast may be clogged up.

Or just the airfins could be clogged with leaves and grass.

Oren[_2_] 16-06-2008 06:55 PM

Low Power & Smoke - Lawnboy

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:50:54 -0400, ecarecar
wrote:

I have a Lawnboy model 6872 or maybe 7268.

Anyway, it was running fine, then I noticed that the power went down
and it started smoking.

What color was the smoke? Black or white?

Eggs Zachtly 16-06-2008 09:57 PM

Low Power & Smoke - Lawnboy

wrote:

I have a Lawnboy model 6872 or maybe 7268.

Anyway, it was running fine, then I noticed that the power went down
and it started smoking.

What color was the smoke? Black or white?

Why would it be white? Does it have a radiator?
--

Eggs

-Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Oren[_2_] 16-06-2008 10:11 PM

Low Power & Smoke - Lawnboy

wrote:

I have a Lawnboy model 6872 or maybe 7268.

Anyway, it was running fine, then I noticed that the power went down
and it started smoking.

What color was the smoke? Black or white?

Why would it be white? Does it have a radiator?

It can be blue smoke :)

Cite: (copyright)
http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/lmfaq/lmsmoke.htm

Color of the smoke goes a long way for trouble shooting....

ecarecar 16-06-2008 10:22 PM

Low Power & Smoke - Lawnboy

wrote:

I have a Lawnboy model 6872 or maybe 7268.

Anyway, it was running fine, then I noticed that the power went down
and it started smoking.

What color was the smoke? Black or white?

Why would it be white? Does it have a radiator?

The whole story is that I got lazy and took it to a shop last winter to
have
something done. I got it back and started using it. A few weeks later
it started
the gradual process of smoking and losing power after it warmed up. It got
progressively worse.

I temporarily got unlazy and started to take the carburetor off when I
noticed
the bolts/screws holding it on were loose. I tightened them and
everything seems
to be fine.

The only confusing thing is that I would have expected the mixture to have
gotten lean not rich.

Srgnt Billko 16-06-2008 10:26 PM

Low Power & Smoke - Lawnboy

"ecarecar" wrote in message
et...

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for coming back and explaining. Nothing worse than to be left
hanging.