Old 15-06-2008, 10:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Low Power & Smoke - Lawnboy

I have a Lawnboy model 6872 or maybe 7268.

Anyway, it was running fine, then I noticed that the power went down
and it started smoking.

After it cooled, I started it and it ran more or less normally then after
4 or 5 minutes starts smoking with low power.

Compression seems normal.

Anyone know what happened or how I could figure out what happened?
Old 16-06-2008, 12:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"ecarecar" wrote in message
et...
I have a Lawnboy model 6872 or maybe 7268.

Anyway, it was running fine, then I noticed that the power went down
and it started smoking.

After it cooled, I started it and it ran more or less normally then after
4 or 5 minutes starts smoking with low power.

Compression seems normal.

Anyone know what happened or how I could figure out what happened?

Is it possible for you to check the compression when it is hot ? Something
must change as it heats up.
Do you have to keep adding oil ?

Sarge

Old 16-06-2008, 10:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

if its a 2 stroke , exhuast may be clogged up.

Old 16-06-2008, 01:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
if its a 2 stroke , exhuast may be clogged up.

Or just the airfins could be clogged with leaves and grass.

Old 16-06-2008, 06:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:50:54 -0400, ecarecar
wrote:

I have a Lawnboy model 6872 or maybe 7268.

Anyway, it was running fine, then I noticed that the power went down
and it started smoking.

What color was the smoke? Black or white?

Old 16-06-2008, 09:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

I have a Lawnboy model 6872 or maybe 7268.

Anyway, it was running fine, then I noticed that the power went down
and it started smoking.

What color was the smoke? Black or white?

Why would it be white? Does it have a radiator?
--

Eggs

-Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.
Old 16-06-2008, 10:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

I have a Lawnboy model 6872 or maybe 7268.

Anyway, it was running fine, then I noticed that the power went down
and it started smoking.

What color was the smoke? Black or white?

Why would it be white? Does it have a radiator?

It can be blue smoke

Cite: (copyright)
http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/lmfaq/lmsmoke.htm

Color of the smoke goes a long way for trouble shooting....
Old 16-06-2008, 10:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

I have a Lawnboy model 6872 or maybe 7268.

Anyway, it was running fine, then I noticed that the power went down
and it started smoking.

What color was the smoke? Black or white?

Why would it be white? Does it have a radiator?

The whole story is that I got lazy and took it to a shop last winter to
have
something done. I got it back and started using it. A few weeks later
it started
the gradual process of smoking and losing power after it warmed up. It got
progressively worse.

I temporarily got unlazy and started to take the carburetor off when I
noticed
the bolts/screws holding it on were loose. I tightened them and
everything seems
to be fine.

The only confusing thing is that I would have expected the mixture to have
gotten lean not rich.
Old 16-06-2008, 10:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"ecarecar" wrote in message
et...

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for coming back and explaining. Nothing worse than to be left
hanging.

Lawnboy short block nick Lawns 3 06-07-2018 12:10 AM
Air Filter for Older Lawnboy ecarecar Lawns 7 06-05-2006 02:18 AM
Lawnboy running eratically Frank Logullo Gardening 13 11-05-2005 12:54 PM
LawnBoy gas tank leak AB Lawns 0 09-09-2003 03:02 PM
Lawnboy mowers brenda.herman Lawns 6 05-08-2003 02:02 AM