Old 09-08-2008, 07:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Identify This Weed?

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me identify this weed? It ONLY grows
between my sidewalk and the road - nowhere else in my yard. During early
spring, the grass between my sidewalk and road is nice and lush...then
around June/July my grass gets replaced by these vine looking things...and
they grow out toward the sidewalk and road...over a foot long. They are
everywhere in that median of grass between the road and sidewalk for about 3
or 4 months(June - September)..then they die back, and my grass comes back
as normal during the cooler fall. If I let these vine things grow too
much...they then begin to have vertical shoots that tassel and seed. I put
chemicals on my lawn 4 times a year, I have sprayed these things with weed
killer, grassy weed killer, broadleaf weed killers..and it has absolutely NO
EFFECT on them. Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

http://chagler.home.att.net/images/IMG_2834b.JPG

http://chagler.home.att.net/images/IMG_2835b.JPG

Thanks...

Chris Hagler

Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Aug 9, 1:11*pm, "Chris Hagler" wrote:
[...]

Where do you live? It looks like bermuda grass to me. Though
technically not a weed, many people will argue the fact. If it is
bermuda, weed killer will not kill it.
KC
Old 11-08-2008, 01:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Chris Hagler wrote:
[...]

As KC suggested, that does indeed appear to be common Bermuda grass. If
you have a Fescue or other turf type lawn the Bayer company makes a
herbicide just for this application. What you want is Bayer Advanced
Bermudagrass Control. Most of the big box stores (Home Depot, Lowes,
etc.) carry it in their lawn care center. It's only been out a little
over a year and appears to be the best thing going for controlling
Bermuda in Turf type lawns. Don't expect to control it in a single
application. It will knock it down pretty good the first time but you
will see some recovery in a week or two which means you need to hit it
again. Once you get it under some control expect this to be a yearly
ritual. You'll probably never completely eliminate the Bermuda, but you
can keep it well under control.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Chris Hagler wrote:

[...]

you did a real good job with the camera.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/cynda.htm

around here we call it wire grass and there really is NO selective
herbicide program available that is going to do anything other than
take your money in turn for a poor result. all selective herbicide
programs actually become a semi annual application which at best offer
some limited control but not eradication and a final solution.

where clients have demanded complete eradication the only final solution
starts with a 41% glyphosate product mixed at the rate of 3.5 ounces per
gallon of water. complete death to the areas where the undesirable wire
grass has taken up residency. due to the nature of wire grass to have
deep roots tilling of the area is necessary to a depth of 6 inches and
then a second application of the 41% glyphosate applied to the exposed
roots. this must be done while the wire grass is active or in other words
during hot weather. wire grass will go dormant during cool weather and
will not pick up the herbicide. the surface glyphosate application should
be allowed to cook for 5 days. the second glyphosate application after
excavation tilling needs another five days. after that seed or sod and
hope you don't get a neighbor who thinks bermuda grass is simply the ideal
lawn.

best,