Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default bagger for rider

Has anyone made a homemade bagging system for the rider? I was
thinking about that and trying to rig up something. I have sdeen
lawn care people with baggers that look to be made from a plastic
garbage can. Any ideas and or pics would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

http://www.meijer.com/catalog/produc...roductId=42982
Is what I have A ground driven sweeper Why would need any thing more then this works just fine pickup up grass clippings, leaves,sticks etc
48" model sweeps the tire tracks gives the lawn a nice look

Spud

Old 02-11-2008, 01:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 3:19 am, "spud42" wrote:
http://www.meijer.com/catalog/produc...roductId=42982
Is what I have A ground driven sweeper Why would need any thing more then this works just fine pickup up grass clippings, leaves,sticks etc
48" model sweeps the tire tracks gives the lawn a nice look

" ground driven sweeper "
That is likely a more elegant solution, I've had riders with baggers;
and they were bulky & hampered maneuverability + didn't really work
that well.
I too bought a sweeper and just make a second pass rather than mow
with it. The remains of the sweeper make a nice bucket hanger for
other chores though.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
...I've had riders with baggers;
and they were bulky & hampered maneuverability + didn't really work
that well.

Have (and have had) several...while somewhat true about the added size
(pretty much inevitable to obtain the functionality), they have and do
work quite satisfactorily.

The particular versions are JD rear mount. The only one I have any
complaint about hasn't anything to do w/ how well it functions but
simply an ease of use issue--they went to a plastic pipe insert into a
plastic fitting at the bagger end. When it gets dirt built up, the
tolerances are such it's a pita to get in/out -- that's not needed
often, but does make the occasional cleanout of a plugup more of a chore
than necessary. I modified one by shortening the insert end
significantly and added a soft gasket (piece of inner tube) pop-riveted
around the opening. The older style used a square opening w/ a rubber
seal arrangement that is much handier although not quite as air-tight.

Home brew would be doable but a working version would be a fair amount
of effort; not sure worth the effort (altho they are pretty pricey for
no more than they actually are, altho again, worth it for the
functionality imo). Particularly leaf season if in area that doesn't
stay perpetually wet is much handier, especially if have large dumpster
or other place to simply empty into.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 9:51 am, dpb wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote:

...I've had riders with baggers;
and they were bulky & hampered maneuverability + didn't really work
that well.

Have (and have had) several...while somewhat true about the added size
(pretty much inevitable to obtain the functionality), they have and do
work quite satisfactorily.

It really depends on the lawn, I have lots of trees, and you can get
pretty close if you bob and weave with your torso, and mulch out from
the trunk a couple feet, but the discharge side is just useless with a
bagger, + even with the giant setup with 3 bags, it seems to be a
constant chore to empty them. Still we used them for years, mainly to
gain compost and for weed control.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
On Nov 2, 9:51 am, dpb wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote:

...I've had riders with baggers;
and they were bulky & hampered maneuverability + didn't really work
that well.

Have (and have had) several...while somewhat true about the added size
(pretty much inevitable to obtain the functionality), they have and do
work quite satisfactorily.

... but the discharge side is just useless with a bagger, ...

Well, you simply have to use them as intended. You go 'round obstacles
from the non-discharge side, obviously.

Two rounds clockwise clears the bagger discharge/chute from obstructions
such as fences/hedges/house, whatever; then lay out the lands as
appropriate for counter-clockwise mowing.

Excess stuff in the way of mowing needs fixing, anyway, bagger or not.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Has anyone made a homemade bagging system for the rider? I was
thinking about that and trying to rig up something. I have sdeen
lawn care people with baggers that look to be made from a plastic
garbage can. Any ideas and or pics would be appreciated.

I bought a bagger for my Craftsman mower. It works well and was worth the
money after changing the all-purpose blades to high lift blades.
For leaf patrol I tow a utility trailer with home made cap behind the mower
and blow the grass/leaves into it. I made the cap from scrap plywood and
some expanded metal.