GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Moles! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/181658-moles.html)

Al Schmidt 09-03-2009 03:14 PM

Moles!

My yard is 2 acres and I have a mole problem. As the ground is just
beginning to thaw, I'm getting ready to do battle. I'm thinking all out,
traps, bait, hungry dog,... But my problem is I have a lot of large spruce
trees with ground hugging limbs. The mole trails go in and out of there.
Does the mole repellant work? If so, I'd spray under the trees and get the
moles in the yard.

Also any first hand mole fighting stories would help. What works. What
doesn't work.

Al

Shanghai McCoy[_4_] 09-03-2009 03:30 PM

Moles!

Al Schmidt wrote:
My yard is 2 acres and I have a mole problem. As the ground is just
beginning to thaw, I'm getting ready to do battle. I'm thinking all out,
traps, bait, hungry dog,... But my problem is I have a lot of large
spruce trees with ground hugging limbs. The mole trails go in and out of
there. Does the mole repellant work? If so, I'd spray under the trees
and get the moles in the yard.

Also any first hand mole fighting stories would help. What works. What
doesn't work.

Al

I tried the battery-operated buzz-spikes, a rat terrier, and mole bait
to no avail. Sprinkling used kitty litter around and in tunnel entrances
finally worked.

taylor.rmt 09-03-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Schmidt (Post 832943)

Try http://gardens.taylorschoice.co.uk/p...llent_2kgs.php (Go! Mole Go!) a new product which has come onto the market for the use against mole problems. It is said to be a very good product.

Frog Britches 09-03-2009 10:25 PM

Moles!

Al Schmidt wrote:
My yard is 2 acres and I have a mole problem. As the ground is just
beginning to thaw, I'm getting ready to do battle. I'm thinking all out,
traps, bait, hungry dog,... But my problem is I have a lot of large
spruce trees with ground hugging limbs. The mole trails go in and out of
there. Does the mole repellant work? If so, I'd spray under the trees
and get the moles in the yard.

Also any first hand mole fighting stories would help. What works. What
doesn't work.

Al

A few wet years ago I spread a fungicide around the yard. At evening we
saw and heard several moles. They were running around like chickens with
their heads chopped off. They were noisy. I didn't know they made sounds
until then. They didn't like it one bit. I guess the rain put into their
levels of the tunnels. My daughter caught one and took it to school for
show and tell. It ate a ton of crickets and worms.
We haven't had moles in the yard in a long time.

Steve[_23_] 11-03-2009 12:50 AM

Moles!

"Al Schmidt" wrote:
My yard is 2 acres and I have a mole problem. As the ground is just
beginning to thaw, I'm getting ready to do battle. I'm thinking all out,
traps, bait, hungry dog,... But my problem is I have a lot of large
spruce trees with ground hugging limbs. The mole trails go in and out of
there. Does the mole repellant work? If so, I'd spray under the trees and
get the moles in the yard.

Also any first hand mole fighting stories would help. What works. What
doesn't work.

Al

Hello Al, the mole can be a challenge so it's best to read up on them
first.

Traps seem to be the most efficient approach, the mole man has a good
website about trying to control them.

http://www.themoleman.com/

--
http://NewsReader.Com/

Frank 11-03-2009 11:54 AM

Moles!

On Mar 9, 11:14*am, "Al Schmidt" wrote:
My yard is 2 acres and I have a mole problem. As the ground is just
beginning to thaw, I'm getting ready to do battle. I'm thinking all out,
traps, bait, hungry dog,... But my problem is I have a lot of large spruce
trees with ground hugging limbs. The mole trails go in and out of there.
Does the mole repellant work? If so, I'd spray under the trees and get the
moles in the yard.

Also any first hand mole fighting stories would help. What works. What
doesn't *work.

Al

Got rid of moles years ago by using a mole poison with a phosphide
base. Not only poisonous for them to eat but may have generated
deadly phosphine gas in their tunnels.

Shanghai McCoy[_4_] 16-03-2009 01:29 AM

Moles!

Al Schmidt wrote:
My yard is 2 acres and I have a mole problem. As the ground is just
beginning to thaw, I'm getting ready to do battle. I'm thinking all out,
traps, bait, hungry dog,... But my problem is I have a lot of large
spruce trees with ground hugging limbs. The mole trails go in and out of
there. Does the mole repellant work? If so, I'd spray under the trees
and get the moles in the yard.

Also any first hand mole fighting stories would help. What works. What
doesn't work.

Al

Please let us know if you make any progress against 'em. I've got 'em
again, and I'm not looking forward to the cat litter solution....

[email protected] 19-03-2009 12:59 PM

Moles!

On Mar 15, 9:29*pm, Shanghai McCoy wrote:
Al Schmidt wrote:
My yard is 2 acres and I have a mole problem. As the ground is just
beginning to thaw, I'm getting ready to do battle. I'm thinking all out,
traps, bait, hungry dog,... But my problem is I have a lot of large
spruce trees with ground hugging limbs. The mole trails go in and out of
there. Does the mole repellant work? If so, I'd spray under the trees
and get the moles in the yard.

Also any first hand mole fighting stories would help. What works. What
doesn't *work.

Al

Please let us know if you make any progress against 'em. I've got 'em
again, and I'm not looking forward to the cat litter solution....

What's so bad about the cat liitter solution? I've never tried it so
I don't know if it's effective, but it doesn't sound bad at all,
especially compared to other more dangerous or costly solutions.

Shanghai McCoy[_4_] 21-03-2009 04:34 PM

Moles!

Al Schmidt wrote:
My yard is 2 acres and I have a mole problem. As the ground is just
beginning to thaw, I'm getting ready to do battle. I'm thinking all out,
traps, bait, hungry dog,... But my problem is I have a lot of large
spruce trees with ground hugging limbs. The mole trails go in and out of
there. Does the mole repellant work? If so, I'd spray under the trees
and get the moles in the yard.
Also any first hand mole fighting stories would help. What works. What
doesn't work.
Al

Please let us know if you make any progress against 'em. I've got 'em
again, and I'm not looking forward to the cat litter solution....

What's so bad about the cat liitter solution? I've never tried it so
I don't know if it's effective, but it doesn't sound bad at all,
especially compared to other more dangerous or costly solutions.

Well, I just don't care much for catsh!t, although the one time I used
litter it did work. From the looks of my side yard, I'm going to have to
use it again....