Old 17-01-2010, 05:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.birdwatching

Default Do finches eat the entire nijer seed or just the shell?

When finches eat nijer seed, do they (or, are they supposed to) eat the
entire seed, or do they somehow crack the seed open and discard the
outer shell?
Old 17-01-2010, 09:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.birdwatching

"Bird Guy" wrote in message ...
When finches eat nijer seed, do they (or, are they supposed to) eat the
entire seed, or do they somehow crack the seed open and discard the
outer shell?

Finches are well equiped to crack open seeds. It's not a case of somehow.

Old 18-01-2010, 03:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.birdwatching

Chas Hurst wrote:

When finches eat nijer seed, do they (or, are they supposed to)
eat the entire seed, or do they somehow crack the seed open and
discard the outer shell?

Finches are well equiped to crack open seeds. It's not a case of
somehow.

I didn't ask IF finches can crack open seeds.

I asked if they normally eat nijer seeds whole, or do they split them
open and discard the shell.
Old 18-01-2010, 04:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.birdwatching

"Bird Guy" wrote in message ...
Chas Hurst wrote:

When finches eat nijer seed, do they (or, are they supposed to)
eat the entire seed, or do they somehow crack the seed open and
discard the outer shell?

Finches are well equiped to crack open seeds. It's not a case of
somehow.

I didn't ask IF finches can crack open seeds.

I asked if they normally eat nijer seeds whole, or do they split them
open and discard the shell.

Then you're oblivious to implication.

Old 18-01-2010, 03:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.birdwatching

Chas Hurst wrote:

I didn't ask IF finches can crack open seeds.

I asked if they normally eat nijer seeds whole, or do they split
them open and discard the shell.

Then you're oblivious to implication.

You're going to great lengths to give the impression that you're
answering the question while not overextending yourself by giving a
possibily incorrect (but specific) answer.

Old 24-01-2010, 06:37 PM posted to alt.birdwatching,alt.home.lawn.garden

Tony Mortadella wrote:

When finches eat nijer seed, do they (or, are they supposed to)
eat the entire seed, or do they somehow crack the seed open and
discard the outer shell?

I can't rule-out the possibility that they sometimes eat the whole
seed but judging by the litter under my finch feeders, they normally
discard the shell.

That's basically the reason why I was asking.

I'm wondering if the finches are just incredibly messy eaters, or are
these really the shells from the nijer seeds...
Old 29-01-2010, 04:16 PM posted to alt.birdwatching,alt.home.lawn.garden

Bird Guy wrote in :

I'm wondering if the finches are just incredibly messy eaters, or are
these really the shells from the nijer seeds...

I see Juncos and Doves feeding from the ground under the feeder so the
finches apparently are dropping some. I suppose it's inevitable with
such tiny seeds. I've also seen sock-type feeders where the mesh is a
little too open and the seed falls out as the sock is jostled.

--
Tony Mortadella
Old 30-01-2010, 03:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.birdwatching

cleondann wrote:

I use some of the best pest bird control techniques to keep away
bugs and birds harming my lawns.

So you want a medal or somethin?

What's that got to do with the feeding habbits of finches?

To eat or not to eat (:-) Pete[_9_] United Kingdom 1 30-10-2012 10:42 PM
7 House Finches @ feeder Padraig Garden Photos 0 21-03-2007 10:39 PM
House finches Padraig Garden Photos 3 16-01-2007 12:52 AM
Finches Eating Sweet Corn Gravelle Gardening 11 09-08-2005 06:11 PM
Do house finches eat corn seed? dstvns Edible Gardening 1 20-06-2003 11:20 AM