GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Old Soil, New Lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/193019-old-soil-new-lawn.html)

JMacA 31-07-2010 08:11 PM

Old Soil, New Lawn

Hi all

I have joined this as my boy friend and I have a problem. The garden of our new house had not been touched in aprox 5 years, so we have set about it with back breaking work and are down to the soil now, but previously had brambles, nettles and grass shoulder deep in parts. Now looking at a way to get a new lawn down 9/10 weed killers need the weeds to work on the roots, but we don't want weeds, esp brambles, sprouting through our lawn.

In a nutshell we need a root only weed killer that will keep the soil fertile PLEASE HELP!!

[email protected] 04-08-2010 06:34 PM

Old Soil, New Lawn

--
JMacA

Never heard of such a herbicide and can't imagine how it could
work. If it were me, I'd simply let any new growth from weeds
emerge for a couple weeks, then apply glyphosate. Since you seem to
be from the UK, you don't want to be trying to establish a new lawn
until Sept anyway. That leaves plenty of time to kill weeds the usual
way.