GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How do you measure soil PH??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/202269-how-do-you-measure-soil-ph.html)

mike[_8_] 13-02-2012 03:25 PM

How do you measure soil PH???

I'd like to measure the PH of my soil.
I have PH paper.
Stick it in a liquid, compare color to chart and I have the PH.

But dirt is not a liquid.
Put dirt in water and some stuff will dissolve and other stuff won't.
And the PH is dependent on how much water you add.
So, how the heck do I prepare the sample to get a PH reading for dirt?

Frank 13-02-2012 10:42 PM

How do you measure soil PH???

On 2/13/2012 10:25 AM, mike wrote:
I'd like to measure the PH of my soil.
I have PH paper.
Stick it in a liquid, compare color to chart and I have the PH.

But dirt is not a liquid.
Put dirt in water and some stuff will dissolve and other stuff won't.
And the PH is dependent on how much water you add.
So, how the heck do I prepare the sample to get a PH reading for dirt?

I just moisten the soil a little. Enough to get the paper wet.