GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winter Lawn Care (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/208866-winter-lawn-care.html)

Guv Bob[_2_] 13-12-2013 05:48 AM

Winter Lawn Care

What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and 50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"

Guv Bob[_2_] 13-12-2013 05:49 AM

Winter Lawn Care

"Guv Bob" wrote in message ...
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and 50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"

Also, I have some bare patches. Anything I can do to seed these or, if not, prepare them for seeding in the spring?

Hench 21-12-2013 01:31 PM

Winter Lawn Care

On 12/13/2013 12:48 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and 50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"

grass grows when it's 40 C??? How do you achieve that. Ours dies
around 28 C

Bob F 21-12-2013 06:09 PM

Winter Lawn Care

Hench wrote:
On 12/13/2013 12:48 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the
winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and
50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead
of the normal 9.5"

grass grows when it's 40 C??? How do you achieve that. Ours dies
around 28 C

Ummmm. Where do you see the "C"?

Bob F 21-12-2013 06:10 PM

Winter Lawn Care

Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the
winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and
50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of
the normal 9.5"

I've always heard that the fall/winter fertilizer is the most important of the
year.

songbird[_2_] 21-12-2013 07:12 PM

Winter Lawn Care

Bob F wrote:
Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the
winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and
50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of
the normal 9.5"

I've always heard that the fall/winter fertilizer is the most important of the
year.

in the arid SW?

large source of pollution and a waste of $.

putting fertilizer on dry grass is pointless.

putting down fertilizer just to have to go through
the process of watering repeatedly in such a climate
is close to criminal IMO.

there are places where having a lawn is fine,
but the SW isn't one of them.

songbird

Bob F 22-12-2013 05:55 PM

Winter Lawn Care

songbird wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the
winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and
50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead
of the normal 9.5"

I've always heard that the fall/winter fertilizer is the most
important of the year.

in the arid SW?

large source of pollution and a waste of $.

putting fertilizer on dry grass is pointless.

putting down fertilizer just to have to go through
the process of watering repeatedly in such a climate
is close to criminal IMO.

there are places where having a lawn is fine,
but the SW isn't one of them.

I didn't know that. Thanks.
Seattle's not so arid.

songbird[_2_] 22-12-2013 08:59 PM

Winter Lawn Care

Bob F wrote:
I didn't know that. Thanks.

you're welcome. :)

Seattle's not so arid.

no, probably fairly easy to keep a lawn
green there all season.

i'd still not fertilize any lawn much at
all. why make something that you have to cut
grow faster?

songbird

Hench 24-12-2013 02:41 AM

Winter Lawn Care

On 12/21/2013 1:09 PM, Bob F wrote:
Hench wrote:
On 12/13/2013 12:48 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the
winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and
50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead
of the normal 9.5"

grass grows when it's 40 C??? How do you achieve that. Ours dies
around 28 C

Ummmm. Where do you see the "C"?

I didn't see "C" but assumed he was talking temperatures. 40 degrees
is very hot for lawns and was wondering how he keeps it alive at such
extreme temperatures....

If he was not talking temperature what was he talking about?

Bob F 24-12-2013 02:59 AM

Winter Lawn Care

https://www.google.com/search?q=expl...x=&startPage=1

Guv Bob[_2_] 17-01-2014 09:34 PM

Winter Lawn Care

"Hench" wrote in message ...
On 12/13/2013 12:48 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and 50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of the normal 9.5"

grass grows when it's 40 C??? How do you achieve that. Ours dies
around 28 C

Yes, and if you think that's amazing, it's 50-70 during the day!

Guv Bob[_2_] 17-01-2014 09:37 PM

Winter Lawn Care

"Bob F" wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:
What's the best thing to do to keep a lawn looking good thru the
winter? I'm in So Calif and is generally in the 40's at night and
50-70 days. Extremely dry especially this year - 3 inches instead of
the normal 9.5"

I've always heard that the fall/winter fertilizer is the most important of the
year.

A belated thanks, Bob. Since first posting the question, it has not rained a drop, so watering about once every week or two is all I'm doing right now.