What to do with this?!

Old 02-05-2016, 10:12 AM

Default What to do with this?!

Hi,

I've just cut my lawn for the first time since last year and the winter has really taken its toll on it.

I raked out a load of dead grass but the main concern isthe massive patches.

I am attaching a picture so you can see the current situation.

Any advice on where to go from here?
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with this?!-rsz_1img_20160502_100617.jpg
Old 02-05-2016, 05:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

jumanji wrote:
Hi,

I've just cut my lawn for the first time since last year and the
winter has really taken its toll on it.

I raked out a load of dead grass but the main concern isthe massive
patches.

I am attaching a picture so you can see the current situation.

Any advice on where to go from here?

Filename: rsz_1img_20160502_100617.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16407|

Overseed the huge gaps, sprinkle fine dirt to just cover the seed, fertilize the
rest, and water regularly

Old 03-05-2016, 02:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

jumanji wrote:

I've just cut my lawn for the first time since last year and the winter
has really taken its toll on it.

I raked out a load of dead grass but the main concern isthe massive
patches.

were you having trouble with fungal disease
or some specific reason to remove the dead grass?

that is nutrients and food for worms and other
soil creatures. there's no need to rake dead grass
if it is not causing a problem.

I am attaching a picture so you can see the current situation.

Any advice on where to go from here?

are the bare spots compacted? if so break them up
with a rake a few times to loosen up the soil and
then sprinkle new seeds on the open spots and scrape a
rake across it a few times to give it spots to hide
and sprout. keep moist (not super wet). mow when
needed.

songbird