GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cutting lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/21482-cutting-lawn.html)

brian johnson 09-05-2003 05:56 PM

cutting lawn

I've yet to fertilize my lawn this year and now it needs a cut. Should I
fertilize before or after my cut?

If its helpful I'm in London Ontario. Between Detroit and Toronto.

Peter H 09-05-2003 07:44 PM

cutting lawn

"brian johnson" wrote in message
.. .
I've yet to fertilize my lawn this year and now it needs a cut. Should I
fertilize before or after my cut?

If its helpful I'm in London Ontario. Between Detroit and Toronto.

Assuming that you are using granular fertilizer it makes no difference.

Peter H
( born and raised in London Ontario btw )

Sam 09-05-2003 08:32 PM

cutting lawn

i just cut mine today, then applied weed n' feed. i think it is better to
cut first.
kitchener, ontario

SaM

[email protected] 10-05-2003 02:20 AM

cutting lawn

"brian johnson" wrote:
I've yet to fertilize my lawn this year and now it needs a cut. Should I
fertilize before or after my cut?

If its helpful I'm in London Ontario. Between Detroit and Toronto.

After.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Al Giordano 11-05-2003 02:44 AM

cutting lawn

I actually fertilize DURING my first cut. The long grass helps line up the
rows and overlap so that I don't get any lines without food. I pull a
fertilizer/aerator with my lawn tractor.

Al

Victor Grund 11-05-2003 10:20 AM

cutting lawn

As other noted, it doesn't much matter when you do it. If you are using a
drop spreader, personally I would mow it first to ensure the grass blades
don't interfere with even delivery.

Toro makes a spreader for my "super recycler" walk-behind. ;) I never went
for it (opting for the relatively goof-proof solution of a push rotary
spreader).

.net...

Chris 12-05-2003 05:09 PM

cutting lawn

"Al Giordano" wrote in
.net:

I actually fertilize DURING my first cut. The long grass helps line
up the rows and overlap so that I don't get any lines without food. I
pull a fertilizer/aerator with my lawn tractor.

Al

"brian johnson" wrote in message
.. .
I've yet to fertilize my lawn this year and now it needs a cut.
Should I fertilize before or after my cut?

If its helpful I'm in London Ontario. Between Detroit and Toronto.

To avoid gaps, I use a drop spreader set for 1/2 the mfg. reccomended
setting. Then cover the area in 2 different directions (north/south then
east/west) This gives the best overall results IMHO.

Chris

Victor Grund 12-05-2003 06:20 PM

cutting lawn

The settings on many spreaders are not necessarily linear, so you aren't
necessarily delivering half the amount if you half the setting.

"Chris" wrote in message
45...
"Al Giordano" wrote in
.net: