Old 13-05-2003, 04:08 PM

Default Oil Filters

I have both the John Deere L120 and a DR Power Brush Mower, the oil
filters are the same. The JD has a 20 horse Briggs and the DR has a
13 horse Briggs. The filters are roughly ten bucks apiece, to me that
is way too much for an oil filter. Are all oil filters the same? Can I
find an automotive filter that is the same size and substitute it?
Three bucks as opposed to ten bucks?

Thanks

Old 13-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Steve

Just because a filter's gasket may line up with the mount does not mean it
has the same rate of flow. Some may starve the engine of oil and tax the
pump. Beware

Old 14-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Ken Lutz

Greetings Jim, You have a valid question, Most oil filters for lawn &
garden 4 cycle engines are very similar, some have bypass valves, some
don't, some have anti drain back valves ,some don't, the micron filtering
size can be different specs. Mostly the lawn & garden industry wants you
to spend the $10.00 each to buy the filter from the dealer. I work for a
dealer and we are a dealer also, I have checked all the specs , from the
diff. filter vendors, also the OEM filters, all very similar, most all have
3/4" x 16 threads, very few are different, the seal size can be different.
also outside diameter & length. you need what fits yours, physically, and
sealing ring size, ALL Briggs engines that take oil filter can use same
filter if length of the longer Briggs filter will fit where you may now have
short filter. exception is the diesel Briggs, I just haven't checked that
yet have never seen one in the shop to be interested in. we substitute
filters and brands regularly, because we know what will work and it will be
OK. We do not know of any automotive filter that will work at any price.

the short Briggs filter will fit and work on any 4 cycle engine with the
same thread and seal size, kohler, Tecumseh, ect..... the problem lies in
the clearance you have for filter length. depends where it mounts to clear
obstructions, such as clutch pedal on some MTD's for example or brake pedal
and chance of your foot hitting it, or under hood body, cowling clearance.

you may find some say oh no way I am wrong but..... we have done it and the
engines run and last as long as normal. the trick is keep the oil clean, and
changed often. use good quality oil.

The guy at your dealer may not know even, he sells parts, and the owner
wants the $10.00 each good money, I know I sell a ton of them same price.
Your question just hit me and i had the time to answer it. even some parts
tech guys working for the large companies are not very knowledgeable about
the real world, what works, what don't, everything is a number anymore.

Yes I have a sales pitch too. Buy your filters from us online.
check our ebay rating, check our feedback, check our store on ebay,
we will deliver to you and anyone you know who wants to save money on parts
for lawn & garden equipment. We are building our own biz, here in fla. &
sell allot on ebay. Buy direct from us here, we accept paypal, check , or
money order, ask us questions if your not a ebayer, we'll be happy to
explain it. Paypal is secure online payment and you can get your own
account for free, pay anyone with an email address or have them pay you, for
whatever.

Our name on ebay is coyote1956 check my listings.

our stores address is http://www.stores.ebay.com/coyotewerks

web page site is http://www.home.earthlink.net/~kenny847
Filters we can sell you for, $7.50 each plus 2.00 frt. if you just buy
one, by itself.
we know that isn't much off, but if you buy other parts or more at a time we
can save you more in the long run.
we can save you $ if you buy more at a time get your friends to buy in with
you. we can supply you with all kinds of parts. Please send your model #
type # and code# with any parts requests, engine #'s are separate from your
tractor #'s or mower #'s .
No i don't live on ebay or online just happened to see your post here on the
forum. I am a OPPESA certified technician outdoor power products
equipment service association. many years experience doing repairs and
parts sales, please give us a try. hope this email does not offend you it
isn't meant to, Thanks , Kenny

Old 14-05-2003, 04:09 AM
Dr. Doctor

filters may be physically the same size outside but may not perform the same
internally. Use non OEM parts at own risk. a $10.00 filter is cheaper then a
rebuild.

Old 03-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Mack

In the early 70's a guy was going to save $6.00 on a Porsche oil filter by
purchasing one from K-Mart. $1200 later he found out how expensive it really
was. The filter came apart (high volume dry sump system) and clogged the oil
holes for the camshafts.
Mack
. ..