Old 16-07-2003, 07:50 PM
Guglielmo Portas

Default help! fried lawn

OK- I got a little too happy with the Round-Up spray trying to get rid
of the creeping charlie. Well, charlie's gone, but now I have big
patches of yellow dried up dead grass. Anything I can do with it?
Tons of water? Re-sod?

TIA
Old 17-07-2003, 09:52 PM
Guglielmo Portas

sorry- Chicago
Old 18-07-2003, 01:42 PM

Waiting 2-3 months before you can even try to turn the earth over and
re-seed can be a PITA. If you can $wing it, you might want to try
sodding it. You should do a sample patch, take out about 3-4" of
root/dirt and maybe have some clean fill to layer underneath the sod.
If it turns color, then wait, if not... patch your heart out.

I don't think there's anything to counteract RU if you get it on the
grass, but you'd think some genius at Scotts or Ortho would have come
up with an "antibody" remedy or something. This happens to everyone
once in a while. Just putting RU in beds and then walking thru it
will track the stuff onto the grass and kill it.

Mike

Old 20-07-2003, 04:26 PM
Tom J

"Guglielmo Portas" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the info. Since I didn't really *soak* the areas too badly
with the RoundUp, I'm hoping that digging the grass out and maybe
using that blue foam patch stuff with the grass seed in it will work.
I'll add dirt and try this maybe in September.

All traces of the Roundup is gone after 3 weeks, so you don't have to worry
about reseeding any time after that.

Tom J

Old 21-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Chet Hayes

In fact, you can reseed withing a few days of applying roundup. It
works by absorption through leaves, not through the soil. I usually
wait a week, which is enough time for whatever you're trying to kill
to be gone.