Old 28-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Delbert Smith

Default Wasps in my yard

This is my first post to this NG alot of good info on this board, hopefully
I can get a resolution or possibly a source to solving this problem.

I live in So. Calif. and my new lawn is about 2 months old, just under
1000sqft, Sodded Tall Fescue, trimmed to about 3 inches. My automatic
watering shedule is now set at 4am and 5am I have two zones, set for 10
minutes each for M W F mornings during the summer season.

My situation is that I had installed a new sodded yard complete with
sprinkler system earlier this summer.

Saturday mornings I begin my routine of mowing the front yard at about 7am,
I am noticing that there are wasps buzzing around in my turf, and I am
concerned about their presence.

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that their numbers are
increasing. and they are present through out the day.

I have observed some of their activities, they hover low to the ground, land
on the grass blades then make their way down inside the turf to the base of
the grass, then they climb out and move to a new area and repeat.

I am not sure what they are doing there, if they are feeding or drinking
moisture or making there home in my new yard, collecting mud?. No clue.

I am also starting to notice small brown patches about roughly 6 to 12
inches in diameter where they have been located they kind of look like foot
prints of dying turf.

I have checked around my house for a nest, none to be found at this time,
they are only in my grass part of my yard and I am concerned what they might
be doing to my lawn.

I am afraid that they might attack me while mowing or possibly the neighbor
kids or even my own.

Any ideas as to what they are doing in my yard, is there a safe way to get
rid of them, will this be a reoccurring problem due to the type of grass I
have. My yard is the only sodded Tall Fescue on the block nicest looking
yard to, the work I put into the yard was a great investment.

Thanks for any input into my dilemma.

Delbert

Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 AM
jbclem

I'm not sure about wasps, but I've used yellow jacket traps with great
success for yellow jackets. It takes some patience but eventually got rid
of them and it has lasted for years. I also have found wasp mud nests under
the eves and I just knock them down(they are small ones) and it hasn't been
a problem since.

The yellow jacket traps use an attractant...look for something similiar for
wasps.

John
`

arthlink.net...

Old 09-08-2003, 11:13 AM
Darla

Hi I am new to the group, and this is my 1st post to it.

Are these wasps much larger then normal? If so the may be cicada killers.
Which come out every year about the same time, hang around a few weeks then
dissappear again. If this is indeed what you have, they are fasinating
creatures to watch. They kill the cicada with their sting, then fly them
back to their hole. They will drag them down, and lay their eggs inside the
dead bug, giving their young a tasty snack when they hatch.
While being very large, they can be pretty intimidating, but I have never
heard of anyone being stung by them before.
I have had swarms of them around me while cutting my lawn, with out a
problem. though I will admit I have broken into a sweat with a bunch of bees
that sometimes almost reach the size of humming birds flying about my face.
: )

WAsps, wasps and more wasps Broadback United Kingdom 69 09-08-2004 09:57 AM
How to Kill spiders wasps earwigs centipedes etc Kat Gardening 14 16-05-2003 11:56 PM
the truth about wasps...and contrition Edible Gardening 0 08-05-2003 10:20 PM
Ground Wasps Lar Gardening 2 01-05-2003 05:44 AM
Wasps nest in the attic Peter Crosland United Kingdom 30 07-12-2002 07:56 PM