GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strange grass (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/41054-strange-grass.html)

David Pear 22-08-2003 12:12 AM

Strange grass

I bought what I thought was Pompas Grass. But, it started getting these
fern-like growths. What I want is those big beautiful blooms - but I don't
think it's going to happen with this plant. Let me know if anyone has any
experience with this kind of plant.

See pictures he
http://webpages.charter.net/dwpear/strangegrass.jpg

[email protected] 22-08-2003 01:12 AM

Strange grass

David Pear wrote:
I bought what I thought was Pompas Grass. But, it started getting these
fern-like growths. What I want is those big beautiful blooms - but I
don't think it's going to happen with this plant. Let me know if anyone
has any experience with this kind of plant.

See pictures he
http://webpages.charter.net/dwpear/strangegrass.jpg

Do you know which variety Pompas Grass you bought? (tag)

--
GO #40 The Chuggernaught

Oscar_lives 22-08-2003 03:02 AM

Strange grass

"David Pear" wrote in message
I bought what I thought was Pompas Grass. But, it started getting these
fern-like growths. What I want is those big beautiful blooms - but I don't
think it's going to happen with this plant. Let me know if anyone has any
experience with this kind of plant.

See pictures he
http://webpages.charter.net/dwpear/strangegrass.jpg

Get rid of that weed growing in there.

Racerboy 22-08-2003 05:22 AM

Strange grass

Looks like adult Nutsedge,which is considered a nuisance for lawns. The
fernlike appearance are actually seeds.

[email protected] 22-08-2003 05:32 AM

Strange grass

"David Pear" wrote in message
I bought what I thought was Pompas Grass. But, it started getting these
fern-like growths. What I want is those big beautiful blooms - but I
don't think it's going to happen with this plant. Let me know if anyone
has any experience with this kind of plant.

See pictures he
http://webpages.charter.net/dwpear/strangegrass.jpg

Looks like adult Nutsedge,which is considered a nuisance for lawns. The
fernlike appearance are actually seeds.

The seed heads do, but the foliage doesn't. (?)

--
GO #40

Racerboy 22-08-2003 05:22 PM

Strange grass

Adult nutsedge does look like the picture.My neighbor has a patch that is
about 3 feet high. The leaves tend to flatten and not have the distinctive V
shape as it matures.

Big Wave 25-08-2003 04:02 PM

Strange grass

It's a type of Bamboo.

lois 27-08-2003 03:24 AM

Strange grass

Carefully remore the seed part - they self sew easily - and gently put
it in a plactic bag [no holes] Then pull the rest of it and return it to
the store.

My neighbors pamas has tall stalks coming from the base. The arent any
visible leaves on the stalk.

[email protected] 27-08-2003 04:22 AM

Strange grass

(lois) wrote:
Carefully remore the seed part - they self sew easily - and gently put
it in a plactic bag [no holes] Then pull the rest of it and return it to
the store.

My neighbors pamas has tall stalks coming from the base. The arent any
visible leaves on the stalk.

So in you're opinion, it's not nutsedge?

--
GO #40