GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stump removal (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/42184-stump-removal.html)

Frank K. 05-09-2003 02:41 AM

Stump removal

I recently had two apple trees cut down. The stumps were cut as low as the
chain saw would allow. Other than renting a stump grinder at about $120 for
4 hours, what are my other options to get rid of them.

One stump is about 6 inches in diameter and is not a big problem. The other
is about 14 inches in diameter, but an area about 36 inches in diameter
raises to about 4 to 6 inches above the surrounding area.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

--
Frank

Spook 05-09-2003 03:11 AM

Stump removal

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:27:27 -0400, "Frank K."
wrote:

I recently had two apple trees cut down. The stumps were cut as low as the
chain saw would allow. Other than renting a stump grinder at about $120 for
4 hours, what are my other options to get rid of them.

One stump is about 6 inches in diameter and is not a big problem. The other
is about 14 inches in diameter, but an area about 36 inches in diameter
raises to about 4 to 6 inches above the surrounding area.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

http://www.gardenpower.com/projects/tree/99042.htm

http://www.bonideproducts.com/labels/pdf/stump-out.pdf

I've used Bonide Stump Out. Rots the stump and then you can burn or
dig it out with ease.

[email protected] 05-09-2003 03:24 AM

Stump removal

"Frank K." wrote:
I recently had two apple trees cut down. The stumps were cut as low as
the chain saw would allow. Other than renting a stump grinder at about
$120 for 4 hours, what are my other options to get rid of them.

One stump is about 6 inches in diameter and is not a big problem. The
other is about 14 inches in diameter, but an area about 36 inches in
diameter raises to about 4 to 6 inches above the surrounding area.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

You're looking for the cheap out. As was mentioned, drill some holes
in to it, them and pour in the stump out. That approach takes -much-
longer.

Stand-by for some mushroom's and toad stools too. ymmv

--
GO #40

Chad Penney 11-09-2003 07:12 PM

Stump removal

If you can burn in your area take some charcoal get it going good and
then set it on top of your stumps. You will need to come back and add
more charcoal about twice a day but the stumps will burn down well
below ground in about a week. If done right there will be very little
smoke or flame from doing this and it will end up costing you about
$15 worth of charcoal.

[email protected] 12-09-2003 01:08 AM

Stump removal

(Chad Penney) wrote:
If you can burn in your area take some charcoal get it going good and
then set it on top of your stumps. You will need to come back and add
more charcoal about twice a day but the stumps will burn down well
below ground in about a week. If done right there will be very little
smoke or flame from doing this and it will end up costing you about
$15 worth of charcoal.

That's an interesting approach, Chad. How soon after you cut down the
tree, can you start the burn?

--
GO #40

Pat Keith 14-09-2003 04:44 AM

Stump removal

Burning works best at the end of summer when the ground and stump is as dry
as its going to get. I would wait a year or so. I have drilled a hole thru
the stump and used a quarter stick of dynamite to make a hole under the
stump for the charcoal. I have also used a vacuum cleaner to supply air.

Chet Hayes 14-09-2003 02:32 PM

Stump removal

"Pat Keith" wrote in message ...
Burning works best at the end of summer when the ground and stump is as dry
as its going to get. I would wait a year or so. I have drilled a hole thru
the stump and used a quarter stick of dynamite to make a hole under the
stump for the charcoal. I have also used a vacuum cleaner to supply air.

Aye carumba! For me stumps fall into two categories. One is they
are out of the way, in which case I let them rot. If they are not,
then I just pay a tree service to grind them down, which is quick and
doesn't cost very much. How much is your time worth to be tending
fires for multiple days, digging and drilling holes, dynamite, etc?