GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question about overseeding (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/43866-question-about-overseeding.html)

[email protected] 23-09-2003 01:22 PM

Question about overseeding

I wanted to overseed this year. I have about 70,000 sq ft of lawn.

My "All About Lawns" book says to mow it short, collecting the
clippings, and then scratch up the surface of the soil.

I have a mulching mower, no bagger.
If I mow with the mulcher, then run my dethatcher over it, can I
expect good contact between seed and soil?

I don't want to spend $200 on seed and not have it germinate.

Thanks!

[email protected] 23-09-2003 01:22 PM

Question about overseeding

By the way, I aerated last week.

[email protected] 23-09-2003 02:22 PM

wrote:
I wanted to overseed this year. I have about 70,000 sq ft of lawn.

My "All About Lawns" book says to mow it short, collecting the
clippings, and then scratch up the surface of the soil.

I have a mulching mower, no bagger.
If I mow with the mulcher, then run my dethatcher over it, can I
expect good contact between seed and soil?

Only if you see soil between the blades, it won't germinate on thatch.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month

Chet Hayes 23-09-2003 08:12 PM

wrote in message ...
wrote:
I wanted to overseed this year. I have about 70,000 sq ft of lawn.

My "All About Lawns" book says to mow it short, collecting the
clippings, and then scratch up the surface of the soil.

I have a mulching mower, no bagger.
If I mow with the mulcher, then run my dethatcher over it, can I
expect good contact between seed and soil?

Only if you see soil between the blades, it won't germinate on thatch.

The only effective way to do this is with a slice seeder, which will
get the seed into the soil. You can rent one for about $40 for a half
day, which is a lot less than the cost of good seed.

JJ 24-09-2003 01:07 AM

Question about overseeding

As someone else suggested, the seed slicers (also known as slit seeders or
power seeders at some rental centers) work well. Last summer we had a very
bad drought and all of the grass died on my septic drain field. In the
early spring I rented a slit seeder and used it to see the drain field.
Worked great.

However, 70,000 sq.ft. is a lot of grass. I rented a non-self-propelled
seeder and I could not imagine using it on my entire lawn (almost 100,000
sq.ft.) I used it only on the drain field and a few other places and I was
*beat* when I was done.

If you use one on your entire lawn, make sure you get a self-propelled
model - you won't be sorry.

William Plummer 26-09-2003 02:22 PM

Question about overseeding

Be certain your lawn is very level, however. The slicer won't work if the
blades don't touch the ground.