Old 23-09-2003, 01:22 PM

Default Question about overseeding

I wanted to overseed this year. I have about 70,000 sq ft of lawn.

My "All About Lawns" book says to mow it short, collecting the
clippings, and then scratch up the surface of the soil.

I have a mulching mower, no bagger.
If I mow with the mulcher, then run my dethatcher over it, can I
expect good contact between seed and soil?

I don't want to spend $200 on seed and not have it germinate.

Thanks!
Old 23-09-2003, 01:22 PM

By the way, I aerated last week.
Old 24-09-2003, 01:07 AM
JJ

As someone else suggested, the seed slicers (also known as slit seeders or
power seeders at some rental centers) work well. Last summer we had a very
bad drought and all of the grass died on my septic drain field. In the
early spring I rented a slit seeder and used it to see the drain field.
Worked great.

However, 70,000 sq.ft. is a lot of grass. I rented a non-self-propelled
seeder and I could not imagine using it on my entire lawn (almost 100,000
sq.ft.) I used it only on the drain field and a few other places and I was
*beat* when I was done.

If you use one on your entire lawn, make sure you get a self-propelled
model - you won't be sorry.

Old 26-09-2003, 02:22 PM
William Plummer

Be certain your lawn is very level, however. The slicer won't work if the
blades don't touch the ground.