GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Several stupid newbie questions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/44128-several-stupid-newbie-questions.html)

montana 04-10-2003 04:49 AM

Several stupid newbie questions

In article ,
Steveo wrote:

snip

I should send you my card, we're almost neighbors. ;)

I'm also looking for a low ground cover for a tiny, very dry back yard
that gets a lot of dog traffic. Any suggestions would be a major help.

Myrtle or English Ivy will usually work.

Heh. I did see that you were to the south a bit.

The problem with Myrtle or Ivy is that it makes it really difficult to
see the dog poop to clean it up! I need something that's really low
growing.

Steveo 04-10-2003 06:07 AM

Several stupid newbie questions

montana wrote:
In article ,
Steveo wrote:

snip

I should send you my card, we're almost neighbors. ;)

I'm also looking for a low ground cover for a tiny, very dry back
yard that gets a lot of dog traffic. Any suggestions would be a major
help.

Myrtle or English Ivy will usually work.

Heh. I did see that you were to the south a bit.

The problem with Myrtle or Ivy is that it makes it really difficult to
see the dog poop to clean it up! I need something that's really low
growing.

You want dog shit proof ground cover, how's about some clover? ;)

--
"It ain't exactly Democratic, but it's either them or us, and it's the
best we can do". Steve Earle

montana 04-10-2003 04:12 PM

Steveo wrote:

You want dog shit proof ground cover, how's about some clover? ;)

I should just transplant from front to back in the spring, I guess. I
see nurseries selling these different "Step-on" ground covers... some
might be a form of sage or some other kind of low grower that smells
nice when you walk on it. That couldn't hurt with the dogs...

I'm guessing I couldn't overseed the clover in the front and be
successful. Except for getting rid of the crab grass, DH & I don't
really care too much about the make-up of the yard. He'd be happier with
an all clover lawn because he's allergic to grass. I'm slightly
concerned about future resale value, but I suppose if the clover takes
over it will ammend the soil nicely for the future.

Chet Hayes 04-10-2003 04:42 PM

Several stupid newbie questions

montana wrote in message .. .
In article ,
Steveo wrote:

snip

I should send you my card, we're almost neighbors. ;)

I'm also looking for a low ground cover for a tiny, very dry back yard
that gets a lot of dog traffic. Any suggestions would be a major help.

Myrtle or English Ivy will usually work.

Heh. I did see that you were to the south a bit.

The problem with Myrtle or Ivy is that it makes it really difficult to
see the dog poop to clean it up! I need something that's really low
growing.

If you're living in NE Ohio, it's too late in the season to be killing
an existing lawn and reseeding. One problem is you need to use
roundup to kill the lawn and roundup becomes much less effective in
cool temps. It will take about a week for the lawn to die in warm
weather, longer when its cool, at which point you can use a slice
seeder to reseed. While you could reseed in mid Oct, for your area,
this is really too late.

Pre-emergent is used for crab grass control and is applied in the
spring. For other broadleaf weeds, you have two choices. Apply a
product like weed and feed to the entire lawn, or do spot control.
Applying to the whole lawn will kill the clover. Spot control is more
environmentally friendly and suitable if the weeds are not everywhere.