Old 26-09-2003, 05:22 PM
montana

Default Several stupid newbie questions

We have a small yard that is green. Some of it is grass, some crabrass,
some weeds & some clover.

I like the grass and the clover, but I don't like the other stuff. Will
a pre-emergent kill the clover & all the other stuff?

Do pre-emergents have runoff problems or wildlife consequences?

Is that all I should do in spring?

Should we overseed now?

I really wouldn't mind if the lawn was all clover; it's the really short
kind with little white flowers, it attracts bumblebees, doesn't need
watering, fixes nitrogen and doesn't need mowing. What are the odds of
it taking over?

TIA for your patience.
Old 26-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Colbyt

"montana" wrote in message
We have a small yard that is green. Some of it is grass, some crabrass,
some weeds & some clover.

I like the grass and the clover, but I don't like the other stuff. Will
a pre-emergent kill the clover & all the other stuff?

Do pre-emergents have runoff problems or wildlife consequences?

Is that all I should do in spring?

Should we overseed now?

I really wouldn't mind if the lawn was all clover; it's the really short
kind with little white flowers, it attracts bumblebees, doesn't need
watering, fixes nitrogen and doesn't need mowing. What are the odds of
it taking over?

I am sure not an expert on this. The only pre-emergent that I am aware of
is for crab grass only. Won't harm any other plants. Now is the best time
to over seed. Are you planting grass or clover?

Since you like the clover I would spot treat the weeds with a liquid weed
killer in a one gallon sprayer mixed to label directions at anytime they are
growing. You really don't want a pure stand of clover because of the winter
die back factor.

Everything has some potential to harm the environment . Read and follow
label directions and you will be as "friendly" as possible.

--
Colbyt
Remove " stopspam." from the email address to reply via email

Old 26-09-2003, 11:45 PM
montana

In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

snip

Since you like the clover I would spot treat the weeds with a liquid weed
killer in a one gallon sprayer mixed to label directions at anytime they are
growing. You really don't want a pure stand of clover because of the winter
die back factor.

Luckily, where we are, the clover stays green until the snow covers it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 29-09-2003, 10:44 PM
Bill Nunnery

If your lawn is small why not kill it with Roundup or equivalent and put in
a good low maintenance turf? I don't know of a sure way to kill some weeds
and not others. Your current lawn will look different during different
seasons since each weed has its own season. If you don't EVER want to water
or cut it then be prepared to live with what you have now. Turf is just as
environmentally friendly as clover but it does require some
maintenance;Don't worry about the bees...they will survive. If you pick a
turf variety that spreads it will choke out most of the weeds. You will have
to fertilize and lime your lawn occasionally but this seems better than
using weed killer.

Old 04-10-2003, 02:53 AM
montana

In article k.net,
"Bill Nunnery" wrote:

If your lawn is small why not kill it with Roundup or equivalent and put in
a good low maintenance turf?

What kind of turf would you recommend?
Old 04-10-2003, 04:15 AM
Steveo

montana wrote:
In article k.net,
"Bill Nunnery" wrote:

If your lawn is small why not kill it with Roundup or equivalent and
put in a good low maintenance turf?

What kind of turf would you recommend?

Where do you live?

--
"It ain't exactly Democratic, but it's either them or us and it's the best
we can do". Steve Earle

Old 04-10-2003, 04:22 AM
montana

In article ,
montana wrote:

In article k.net,
"Bill Nunnery" wrote:

If your lawn is small why not kill it with Roundup or equivalent and put in
a good low maintenance turf?

What kind of turf would you recommend?

N.E. Ohio. Near the lake.

I'm also looking for a low ground cover for a tiny, very dry back yard
that gets a lot of dog traffic. Any suggestions would be a major help.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Steveo

montana wrote:
In article ,
montana wrote:

In article k.net,
"Bill Nunnery" wrote:

If your lawn is small why not kill it with Roundup or equivalent and
put in a good low maintenance turf?

What kind of turf would you recommend?

N.E. Ohio. Near the lake.

I should send you my card, we're almost neighbors.

I'm also looking for a low ground cover for a tiny, very dry back yard
that gets a lot of dog traffic. Any suggestions would be a major help.

Myrtle or English Ivy will usually work.

Old 04-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Steveo

montana wrote:
In article ,